Spinal cord injury - Page 2 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

I would keep her and your pug in separate rooms. You really need to keep her as still and peaceful as possible - know it's hard but keep her in a cage. Painkillers should make her sleepy as long as she doesn't have too many distractions.
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

Praying that the rest works but if not have you thought about care credit. Many vets take it and for that amount of $$ you get it interest free for I think it's about 2 years. Just be sure to pay off completely and on time as the interest rate is outrageous.
Carly Ann - Toy Poodle
Copper -(Speed-bump) Basset
dreamons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

Molly was on prednisone and a muscle relaxant. They did make her sleepy at first, but then she seemed to get used to them after a few days. As for sedating her to make the crate rest easier, I think it's something to ask the vet. You can find out the risks and benefits. It might or might not be worth it.
Wioleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #14 (permalink)

How did you guys keep your dogs clean while they were in the crate? It seems like no matter how often I take her out and put her on the puppy pads she still had accidents in there. We have to wash her constantly. It's like a part time job

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Caela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:31 PM   #15 (permalink)

Before her spine injury was she at all potty trained? Or is she incontinent which can happen with spinal problems? I'm asking as usually they don't go in their crate. How's she doing?
Old 12-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Have you or do you use a crate at all? Your pup needs to be kept quiet & still, I know what it's like especially with two dogs & having to keep them separate, but with spinal problems it's a must. No playing or crawling around with your other dog. If you haven't a crate - or she's not used to one - then you need to find somewhere small to contain her - spinal injuries require full rest and little movement. It's not easy & as for toileting, can you carry her and if you can you'll have to ensure that her back is supported, if not & you haven't got a sling, then use a towel to support her. If she continues to crawl around on her stomach you will need to check to ensure she is not rubbing herself sore. I'm so sorry to hear of her injury but from experience, you need to keep her quiet, a child's play pen is good as you could move it with you depending where you are, they settle better if they can see you.
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #17 (permalink)

She has a crate - from what I read....Don't mean to be snarky but I am going through this with my Iz... She had her OP in June and we are still rehabilitating!! And unless you have had the misfortune of going through this you really don't know what it is like seeing your beloved hound paralysed.
Just a thought....

Last edited by shakespeare; 12-02-2012 at 04:39 PM.
shakespeare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #18 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
She has a crate - from what I read....Don't mean to be snarky but I am going through this with my Iz... She had her OP in June and we are still rehabilitating!! And unless you have had the misfortune of going through this you really don't know what it is like seeing your beloved hound paralysed.
Just a thought....
Snarky?! Perhaps a little quick to judge!
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #19 (permalink)

I was being snarky... to me not to you...
Sorry VV! I was just saying we established the crate rest... she's been doing it for a month.

Last edited by shakespeare; 12-04-2012 at 12:29 PM.
shakespeare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #20 (permalink)

Caela: I been thinking about you and your pup alot. How are things going? Update us please!!!
BubbaLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement