Stop itching - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012, 12:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Stop itching

I love my two yr old basset hound virgil but Im running out of options on what to do to make him a happier dog and me a happier owner. I can't afford these weekly vet visits, that cost anywhere from $100-$300 week. For the past yr he has had many of issues but the major one that I need help on is his skin problem.
We finally found out two weeks ago that he has thyroid disease so I thought we were on a uphill road, but not so much. I was told thyroid disease causes skin problems so I thought the pills he has to take twice a day would help, so far they haven't. But I'm still hopeful. He has many other issues described as symptoms of T.D. Such as overweight (74poinds at two yrs) etc. So I was almost relieved to find treatment answer for him.
But so far I'm still concerned about his constant itching of mostly his belly. To the point he has itched all of his hair off and skin is raw, beat red, little bumps, and sometimes little scabs, almost like he gets inverted nipples. The skin also under his armpits, near his peter, etc. look like black little dirt or scabs but is where he itches the most. Its not dirt though it's an irritation.
He has learned to army crawl and his belly on the carpet to itch his belly (which was cut at first) but if hes not eating or sleeping he's itching and trying to eat his paws off cuz he's soooo itchy. He cant even play like he use to anymore and barely listens to me as he just sits there and itches and stares at me.
As of last night I put a t shirt on him and it has helped him from not itching for now, makes me think it's more of a contact allergy to our carpet because When I took it off he started in again and even was sneezing constantly (which is new he didn't have that symptom the last yr with the itch)
We also just switched his food to the most expensive $80bag hyperalleginic food couple days ago to see if that would work. To soon to tell.
Lthrough out the last yr we have had him on diff strengths of steroid and other pills to help with the inflammation on belly etc. the last pills he was on was atopica which is $200 mth and didn't work either. The steroid helped him to not itch at first but eventually gave him aggressive side effects and crazy behavior and horrible hunger attitutdes. He would eat everything in my back yard, even tried eating the bark off the trees, ate all my hosta plants, etc.
So we are still dealing with him having the nasty gas ever. That hasn't got better for last couple mths he just constantly smells like a fart even after bathing him. Every time he moves he is farting. My fiancÚ can't even be in the same room as him anymore because he claims he will throw up due to the smell. Which he follows me everywhere, so my fiancÚ is a bit annoyed and to be honest I'm stressed. I don't know what to do. Keep him in a t shirt the rest of his life?
Has anyone else had issues like this?
Joanna_larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 01:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

yikes, sorry to hear about all the stress. yeah we know some about it because my auntie M's last basset had horrible skin issues. i know that she did keep her basset in shirts and clothes to keep Nibbles from scratching herself and also to keep flies away from her open wounds apparently the clothes seemed to help nibbles.

they also used hydroxyzine (prescription med) to help with the itching, not sure if you tried that yet?
Old 11-05-2012, 01:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hey thanks for response. Yes. I have 4days left of atopica. And am using prednisone as needed (whenever I have to take shirt off) generally at night. And I have hydroxyine to use when it's not bad enough for prednisone/trying to avoid those side effects. Which I tried using the hydrox last night and it didn't work at all. Do u know what caused your aunts bassets to itch? Did she ever switch food or anything to find it helpful?
Old 11-05-2012, 01:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

Annie used to itch and itch and itch. Not nearly as bad as it sounds like Virgil does, but it seemed bad to me. I changed her to a grain free diet (even treats!) and started her on probiotics and she is like a brand new dog Adding probiotics may be something else to think about as well.

Oh, she also gets fish oil with both meals now as well.

Last edited by Annie714; 11-05-2012 at 01:50 AM.
Annie714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ok thanks. I'll contact the vet bout how much fish oil to try out too.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hiya Virgil,

Well i finally did gets to ask my Auntie M a bit about this, we didn't get to finish the conversation, so we will post more when she tells us more.

her basset had both really bad skin allergies, and also later on around age 9/10, she came down with cutaneous lymphoma, which meant she had a buncha open skin cancer sores everywhere anyways, Auntie M had to find ways for her not to scratch and make everything worse.

one thing she mentioned is that it was mainly the back feet claws that were the problem in causing damage and more open wounds. so she did a coupla things to prevent that.

first to make sure to trim down and dremel/file the back nails, so that they are not sharp enough to tear the skin. in addition, from a pet store, she bought these clear 'gel caps' for cat/dog nails. they are these plastic caps that go over each nail. she would glue them on (if you are comfortable and definitely want them on, she eventually would superglue them on). when they grow out you can remove them. or you can cut them a bit to have them come off if needed.

she also mentioned putting on thick socks on the back feet. make sure they go all the way up, beyond the dog's 'heel' (ie. at least halfway up the leg, remembering that dogs walk on their 'toes') in order to stay on easier. She said she got fat ski socks, toddler socks. She thought most boots don't work because they come off too easily or don't breathe enough. she also used cotton scrunchies to keep the socks up. the socks will come off at times. but again, if Virgil tries to scratch, he will be less successful in harming himself with the socks on. she said that eventually, she had a whole bunch of socks, and she bought the ones that were breathable.

eventually to keep the socks on, she also made a sling of stuff called soft 'no roll' elastic, a wide roll. this we didn't understand completely when she was explaining it. but basically she'd use the elastic to secure the sock on the back foot, and then created a sling with the elastic that came around the arm on the same side (to keep the sock from falling off). and somewhere along the way, she used baby safety diaper pins to attach the elastic.

anyway, yeah, she dealt with this a lot, so we will post more as she tells us more. glad to hear the shirt idea is working out so far with Virgil.

oh, she did also mention to check to be sure it's not a flea problem and that's why he's itching? she says it is much better news if it is just fleas because then the problem can be solved more easily.

cheers,
Worm
Old 11-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default Thanks for reply

Hey thanks for that. I'm not sure about the nail caps....that seems to be a big hassle. The socks could be worth a try though. As of now with the shirt on he doesn't really try to scratch, maybe like 5% of the time vs 99% without shirt. So I guess if we loose the shirt we could replace with socks. And as for fleas.... Trust me evrytime we go in she checks and he doesn't have them, never have.
Thanks keep me posted when your hear more.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Andwise

there are many typ0e of good powders available in market you may also get recommended through doctors and they may surely help a lot in getting rid of itches of your dog....
Old 12-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have been using skin so soft from Avon. Riley's skin was sooo dry and itchy. This stuff repels bugs and he smells fabulous. I use the spray on him and I brush him gently or use my hands to get it under his fur. It's been a miracle for him. The vet said it was totally fine! I can't emphasize how much better he smells! Lol. I use it sparingly and the vet said I could put a little in his bath water if I wanted.
mydawgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

Hi I've just looked at the skin so soft range. There is a few sprays? Which one is it you used? X

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Lisa and joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement