Stop itching - Page 3 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #21 (permalink)

Poor Fred has been suffering from itchiness for a bit now. The vet gave us Atopica and it seemed to work for a little bit, but stopped (and it was SUPER expensive - $200 for a month supply) so we are trying a no-grain limited ingredient diet, fish oil pills, and this new LM Farms spray we saw at the pet store. It's oatmeal and cucumber and supposed to be a soothing for itchy dry skin. We just put it on like 10 minutes ago so I can update once we know if it works or not...We also had to buy prescription shampoo and conditioner, and got a soft cone (he tends to try to bite where it's itchy).
If anyone has any other options/ideas keep posting them. We will try ANYTHING over here! Maybe the air is dry? We have a humidifier we can run?
FredsParents is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 10:08 PM   #22 (permalink)

Did Benadryl or Zyrtec help Fred? I have used one or the other to help Riley in the summer months.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
mydawgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #23 (permalink)

My basset Turtle has allergy's. I have changed her diet and it is working IF and that is a big if, she doesn't get into something.

It can take along while to get things out of there system. She got a loaf of bread off the counter on Sept 13 and it took over a month for me to get her to stop itching. Well it was a bad time as I had to go to work full time on Oct 1 so I didn't have the time to try some of the things I needed to.

I was told you can rinse them in apple cider vinegar after a bath and that will help but I never did get to that. I sent her to the groomers thinking she may have something better but it didn't help.

Then she was after 2 months the dark brown stuff coming out allot of one ear but it never did get red and swollen like it was. I was getting a handle on that then she got something wrong with her tooth and the vet put her on antibiotics and holly molly her ear just blew.

Liquid and puss running out of it. It was a mess, so now she is on a pill that I am not to happy about and back to Baytril put in the ears.

I had read somewhere that antibiotics can cause yeast infection to be worse and I now believe it.

I also give fish oil and I change it from salmon to anchovy and herring I think it is. Icelandic brand.

I hope you can get Fred better it's horrible to see them itching like that.
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:24 PM   #24 (permalink)

Default Yeast Infection may be the problem

I just took my 5-yr old basset Higgins in to the vet because he had a dry itchy belly and was scratching himself. His nipples were inflamed also. I thought it was the winter weather and tried to give him some moisture with olive oil. Turns out he's developed a yeast infection likely from scratching due to food allergies. We did put him on the Hills prescription diet z/d, and he was given an anti-fungal wash and some antihistamines. The diet does seem to be working. Today I was able to skip the antihistamine and his belly is less red. His underarms did smell a bit funky, so I gave him another wash with the anti-fungal soap.

He was having some gas issues also in previous days, but that seems to have subsided also. We made an abrupt diet change and he had some digestion issues (pooping a lot less). The past 2 days we have given him a tablespoon of pumpkin in his kibble and that has helped with the pooping, and no itching so far, so pumpkin must be ok.

He gets one fish oil caplet a day. I poke it with a pin and squeeze it over his kibble.

I plan to change his food once this clears up to a grain free, poultry free, and potato free food. I read that potatoes are bad for dogs with yeast issues. He was eating Fromm's gold, which is a good quality food, but he seems to have developed an allergy of some sort to this. He was also getting boiled carrots and turkey with his kibble, so I suspect a poultry allergy. I'd like to get him off the hypo allergenic food because it is even most expensive than a high quality dog food, so we'll see how that goes.

I suggest smelling your dog's belly and especially under his arms to see if it's a yeast infection. The vet likely would have been able to diagnose this, but maybe it was missed. If he smells funky, maybe he's got a year issue (perhaps an immune response to his meds and possibly food allergy related).

Food allergies are not easy to diagnose. It's sort of trial and error. If he's doing ok with the hypoallergenic food, stick with it, but try to introduce some other things into his diet. Grain free has worked for other dog owners I know who have dogs with allergies (not bassets). I also read that a dog's diet should be changed periodically to help avoid allergy development, though I also have been told by vet techs that there should be no need to change a dog's food. I don't totally buy that because Higgins has been eating the same food for 2 years and now all of the sudden allergies.

I would also NOT put moisturizers made for humans on your dog's belly. That could make things worse. I was using natural moisturizers for Higgins (olive oil and this gardener's balm made from bees wax, castor oil, and coconut oil) and it only allowed the yeast to grow more.

Keep your dog hydrated. That helps with dry skin too. It's hard to get a dog to drink water if he's not thirsty, but Higgins will eat ice cubes like they are treats, so that is one way to get him more water.

I will say that the fish oil has also helped a lot. His coat is super soft. I did buy the derma caps from the vet, but I imagine the ones at a pet store are similar. I might avoid the cheap kind you can get for humans because sometimes there are fillers in them. You want a good quality supplement.

ALSO: TREATS! If you are still giving your dog regular dog treats you are undermining the whole treatment. We did but the hypoallergenic treats, and I will be on the look out for other options, but no more milk bones and other treats like that.

These things are costly sometimes, but once you figure out what works, you probably won't be spending as much as when you are trying to figure things out.

I'll keep you posted with developments and I hope you will as well.
HigginsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:48 AM   #25 (permalink)

What is a good name or brand for the fish oil tablets and what are typical results from using it? I hear lot about fish oil so I am curious. The vet put Riley on the pumpkin diet and he lost 11 pounds in 15 months. He was up to 61 and now finally back own to a svelte 50. He was on a no grain diet and it seemed like he gained a bunch of weight overnight so for the past year he eats 1 time per day. He has 2 cups of dry weight mgmt kibble, one half can of no sodium green beans and 3 spoonfuls of pure pumpkin. I would like to add a healthy supplement but I need something low calorie.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #26 (permalink)

Well I use Iceland Pure they have 3 different kinds it's for pets, comes from Norway but is bottled in the USA.

There is another one called Alaska I believe. There really is many kinds and you can give people ones but the Iceland has a pump and I just like it. I can change up the kinds because like the food I like to change up the different fish oils.

As far as a supplement I have heard good things about NuVet Plus. My Bullmastiff was on it when I got her but I never got any at the time. Now I am thinking of getting some.

Just google both I order off the internet.

Oh and you asked about results. When I got both Richter and Maddie from the shelter I of course put them on better food plus on fish oil and there coats got softer and shiner in a big hurry. Poor old Maddie had that thick yellow red looking hair and she is dark red and shinny now. I just really think the fish oil helped allot.

And of course you know me I am not that big of fan of to many carbs in my dogs food so I would be going the opposite way and be putting more meat in the diet, but that's just me. I'm guessing the reason he gained more weight on the grain free is they just put potatoes in it and there are allot of carbs in potatoes. But what ever works for you.

When I eat to many carbs I gain weight also. Like now, after Christmas and New year I need to cut them out ha ha ha
Old 01-05-2013, 12:33 AM   #27 (permalink)

I will give the fish oil a try for sure. I think I just over fed him when on the grain free. I did not reduce the portions enough I think. When I picked him up from day camp this evening, I noticed they had Garlic Bagel bites on the shelf for dogs. They sell all sorts of dog treats and food etc, but I could not imagine doggy garlic breath... Lol. It would not mesh with his diet anyway. I will keep you posted on the fish oil.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #28 (permalink)

Yes keep use posted how it works for you and if it makes any difference. I'll tell you I learned the hard way not to let them get over weight with my first basset. It's hard once they get fat to get them down.

I'm very careful now and monitor them all the time. A little less this day a little more that day.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:16 PM   #29 (permalink)

So I wanted to update everyone on Virgils itching. We finally spent the money on allergy test. He is allergic to a few things. Storage mold, what's found I his dog food bags or food containers. So I've been keeping his food in the freezer in sealed ziplocks or containers to help manage this. Also allergic to cat dander, we don't have cat but prior owners of house did. Dust nights, so wrapping his dog bed in garbage bags under the bed pillow case, changing frequently in addition to washing bedding in hot water everyothervday. Also trying to avoid him from sleeping with us as we have dry skin tht causes dust nights. Also llergic to a fantasy word that means soil. That us basically unpreventabe. After ground thaws we may rip out allof our pretty hosta plants that he likes to play in. But the allergy accuse we got is pricey but wrth it it. I think it was$400 for 5mths supply, which I was spending bout $400 mth in meds n vet visits prior. (right before allergy testing h developed staff from itching so much too). Signs of improvement were supposed to start at 3mth in but I already see a good change, still itchy at night but not nearly a bad. Only put the shirt on him maybe 1to 2 times week as needed when he flares up. Been trying to exercise him more and wear him down so he's not itching due to bored ism too. But he has way more energy than me lol. That's a challenge during winter weather. Ie been bathing him weekly with the oatmeal vet prescribed shampoo. He isnrt gays anymore but does have frito/dirty sock smell worst the ever! His armpits still sweat a lot. Still on allergen free z to d dog food.
Joanna_larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #30 (permalink)

I'm so glad you came back with an update, there are far to many people that leave use hanging.

I'm glad he seems to be doing better but like me you have a way to go. I am dealing with Turtles ears once again, long story. I have started giving her apple cider vinegar with the mother in it. We'll see how that goes. She was put on a pill koto something would have to look it up and it took all her pink belly and arm pits away. I have to get a picture but her ears are still bad. I have to take her to the vet and see just what I am dealing with.

I hate to be such a bore but you are going to need to get him off the hill's diet food there is no way that stuff is good long term. Maybe try California lamb and rice or something. I didn't reread this thread so I don't know if this was mentioned but what do you use to clean with? this can also be a problem so I am starting to use vinegar and baking soda and such for cleaning.

The soil is a tough one is it something in the soil or just the soil itself? I don't know if Turtle is allergic to anything environment or not, that would be very hard.

And here's another if it were my dog and I know there are some going to come down hard on me but I would not be giving any more shots at all. I caved and did a rabies on Turtle because she had not had one for 5 years while I was dealing with her ears so when I got them cleared the first time I gave her one. I will not be doing it again ever.

The more I study on this the more I believe it contributes to their allergy's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement