Need help with incontinence issues in Bassetts. Causes and treatment? - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need help with incontinence issues in Bassetts. Causes and treatment?

Hi all!
New to the forum as I just rescued my little Bassett mix girl "Pepsi" yesterday! Immediately noticing a problem however.. She never stops peeing! I have heard of this in Bassets before and know that there are a few different reasons this could be happening but wanted to post to get your opinions while we wait for the vet to open tomorrow.
It is "leakage" just all the time dribbling out of her. She is two years, hasn't been spayed yet but otherwise in good health. She is housebroken and will fully go when you take her outdoors so it's not like she's emptying her bladder indoors, she just can't control it. I'll of course be bringing the vet a urine sample and pray for just a uri but I have read about some more serious conditions that it could be.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!
43jenn43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Congrats on your new girl! You're right that there are a number of things that it could be, so it's good that you'll be getting a sample to the vet. It could very well just be a UTI. One of the times that my girl Ninja had one, she was doing just what you described...leaking all the time. Hopefully, it's a simple and easily treated issue for your girl!
Old 11-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Aww :[ I hope Pepsi only has a UTI as well. Cool name choice, by the way. I'm not a Pepsi fan, but I can still appreciate the creative factor! ;]

The Slave...err, Mama of
Olive Oyl/Olive Ball/Olive Noodle/Punkin/Diddle/Whinyface

Olive a Martini - Shaken, Not Stirred
OliveOyl1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you guys! I'll post when we see the doctor says.
We had a bit of debate over the name. I called her Pepsi and a friends 5 yr old son said "no, her names Lola". So now we have a "Pepsi Lola"!
Old 11-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

I've had a female basset with incontinence, but she was a senior (11). It's common for elderly dogs to sometimes loose control of their bladders. It could be a Urinary Track Infection. Heard those are common in unspayed dogs. Paws crossed it's nothing serious.
Madao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

Okay, I just found three good size blood clots on the floor next to where she was laying. Didn't hear any coughing/vomiting etc so must have come from the "other end".. I haven't seen any other discharge or her licking or anything but think this could all be her in heat? Pyometra possibly? Ugh, vet needs to open now!
Old 11-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43jenn43 View Post
Okay, I just found three good size blood clots on the floor next to where she was laying. Didn't hear any coughing/vomiting etc so must have come from the "other end".. I haven't seen any other discharge or her licking or anything but think this could all be her in heat? Pyometra possibly? Ugh, vet needs to open now!
Hopefully your vet has sorted all this out now? Just to say usually the discharge from a pyo isn't blood coloured - but pus, yellow. I'd not want to be seeing clots from a season either. Drips yes, but not clots.

As for the dribbling - this would normally indicate spay incontinence - incontinence in a 2 year old would be 'unusual' and she's not spayed right? However, if she has bladder stones (not unknown in the breed) which could produce dribbling - if the stone(s) is big enough to be causing a blockage, she's not going to be able to produce a good flow, so will dribble.

Since a week has now gone by? hopefully she's on the mend from whatever the problem was
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement