basset hound friends please help - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default basset hound friends please help

so gabe my basset hound is now 11 years old (we presume) he is very active and vivacious for his age, but in the past six months has started growing tumors on his body. one was on the inside of his ear, which we surgically removed and it has not grown back yet. the other was in between his middle and ring finger, which we operated on in july, but has grown back in the past month. this one is a big issue since it will eventually affect his mobility. today the vet said we could go ahead and amputate those two fingers next week. he would still be able to walk, but this will be another $600+ operation and there is still no guarantee it won't grow back.. OR we could just not do anything about it and it would continue to grow/he would start feeling pain/eventually we would have to put him down. so my question to you all is do any of you have any experience with these tumors or with toe amputation? i would hate to lose him since he is still very healthy otherwise and so full of life, but i also hate the idea of subjecting him to another surgery. HELP PLEASE!
gabebasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 10:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

I do not have experience with tumors, just wanted say sorry to hear about your guy.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have a hound that started getting tumors at age 6. He's 13.5 now. My experience with tumors is that you remove one another one grows in a different place. His tail was the only spot that had a repeat growth. Some of his growths haven't grown in years, and remain the same size. It seems the only tumors that grow on him are the fatty cysts. (We've spent over $2000 removing these things.)

If it gets bigger or becomes infected if it ruptures, removal might be the best option.

Last edited by Madao; 10-31-2012 at 01:26 AM.
Madao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

I am so sorry Gabe and you are going through this. Like Madao we've had a fatty lump removed with no regrowth. Do you know what kind of a tumour it is? Is it the type that can be lanced and drained? Even so it would most likely come back and it would have to be done again not ideal but could be an alternative to surgery for an older dog. But if it's not and removal of the tumor and toes is the best option, be a good idea to get a second opinion. Just me personally if my 11 yo hound was fit, healthy, happy and showed good bloodwork I would opt for the surgery. (My old girl Lula had to have emergency surgery for a blockage when she was 11 yo and since then she's had to be knocked out twice to get gas out of her stomach. She'll be 14 in a couple days and is going incredibly strong.)

Last edited by shakespeare; 10-31-2012 at 10:08 AM.
shakespeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

thank you all so much for your kind words and advice! i spoke to the vet again today and he said he could do the amputation, but there is no chance we could guarantee it wouldn't grow back and gabe would most likely limp or not bear weight on that foot for the rest of his life. i would hate to see him have to hop around and would hate even more for it to not work out and for the tumor to grow back. this is such a hard decision. we're gonna take a few days to think about it. thank you all so much though! you're very appreciated!
Old 10-31-2012, 01:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Can you get a second opinion?
murraysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

I would definitely get a second opinion before making a decision on that type of surgery. Please let us know how your pup is doing.
Yogi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

Some Bassets are very prone to these 'fatty cysts'. I had one girl who initially fast as we had them removed, others would appear in other places. Eventually, unless they grew large or were in difficult places, we left well alone or had some taken off at the time she needed to be knocked out, perhaps for dental work. I did have my vet check new ones and if she felt one didn't feel 'right' she'd do a fine needle aspirate just to confirm they weren't nasties. They never were and she lived until she was in her 15th year, at which point she had heart failure. Strangely, maybe, her litter brother was never affected with these cysts, and neither was her mum. I have one right now, who at only 3, has a few appearing, two of which my now vet decided to check (I suspect kerching to be honest) but the results came back clear so we've left them. I have yet (in over 40 years with the breed) to discover why some hounds suffer with this - cause?

Interdigital cysts can be a nuisance, but I've never known any hound who had to have toes removed. The closest my bitch came to one in this area was just below her dew claw and this was removed - and was a darned nuisance as she could get to it and lick it - which she did and had to be restitched at one point. I'd be careful with having toes removed - we did have a puppy who had a malformed front foot (two toes fused together). After much discussion with our vet at the time (birth), we decided to pts as so much weight is born on the front end of the Basset. We all felt he'd have movement problems as he grew up and it was kindest to pts within hours. Hated that!
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks again everyone!
We're going to a different vet today to get a second opinion. The tumor takes up all the space between his middle and ring finger and our vet believes it probably goes a lot deeper. Today we're just going to talk about whether amputating those two fingers is a good idea or not. He's already started limping in the past week from the tumor, but doesn't appear to be in any pain or lethargic in the slightest. We will let you guys know more once we find out.
Thanks again!
Old 11-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

we just got home from getting a second opinion. this vet said to definitely be proactive and amputate those two fingers the beginning of next week so we're gonna go ahead with that. i hate to think of him losing some of his mobility, but it seems like a much better outcome than losing him in a month or two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement