Vaccines--Dr. W. Jean Dodds Part 2 - Page 2 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #11 (permalink)

Mikey - Leptospirosis is rife where we live at the moment, with some deaths even, so I'm not going to drop having this done. Just as if I saw a big jump in the number of Parvo cases locally, I'd be taking mine in for that to be boostered too. I'd always consider local conditions when deciding whether or not to booster to be honest.

Quote from my vet's reminder "We have seen cases of Leptospirosis recently which are usually fatal. This part of the vaccine only lasts for 12 months so please ask your owner (this reminder is addressed to Dear Frankie and Teazel!!) to contact your surgery to make an appointment." I am a cynic and always think 'kerching', but ................
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2013, 08:39 AM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Kris L. Christine Send a message via Yahoo to Kris L. Christine
Exclamation 2013-2014 Dr. W. Jean Dodd's Canine Vaccine Protocol

http://drjeandoddspethealthresource.tumblr.com/post/66693331640/dodds-dog-vaccination-protocol-2013-2014#.UoS3Uo0Vxux

2013 and 2014 Canine Vaccination Protocol - W. Jean Dodds, DVM

Dr. Dodds has made only slight, minor changes to the basic, core Canine Vaccination Protocol she established in previous years. Dr. Dodds bases her decisions on numerous factors such as presence of maternal immunity, prevalence of viruses or other infectious agents in the region, number of reported occurrences of the viruses and other infectious agents, how these agents are spread, and the typical environmental conditions and exposure risk activities of companion animals.

Dr. Dodds considers infectious canine hepatitis (adenovirus-1), canine adenovirus-2, bordetella, canine influenza, canine coronavirus, leptospirosis, and Lyme regional and situational. Please research the prevalence in your area, and discuss it with your veterinarian.

2013 and 2014 Vaccination Protocol
Note: The following vaccine protocol is offered for those dogs where minimal vaccinations are advisable or desirable. The schedule is one Dr. Dodds recommends and should not be interpreted to mean that other protocols recommended by a veterinarian would be less satisfactory. Itís a matter of professional judgment and choice.

9-10 Weeks Old:
Distemper + Parvovirus, MLV (e.g. Merck Nobivac [Intervet Progard] Puppy DPV)

14-16 Weeks:
Same as above

20 Weeks or Older (if allowable by law):
Rabies

1 Year:
Distemper + Parvovirus, MLV

1 Year:
Rabies, killed 3-year product (give 3-4 weeks apart from distemper/parvovirus booster)

Perform vaccine antibody titers for distemper and parvovirus every three years thereafter, or more often, if desired. Vaccinate for rabies virus according to the law, except where circumstances indicate that a written waiver needs to be obtained from the primary care veterinarian. In that case, a rabies antibody titer can also be performed to accompany the waiver request. See The Rabies Challenge Fund www.RabiesChallengeFund.org website.

W. Jean Dodds, DVM
Hemopet / NutriScan
11561 Salinaz Avenue
Garden Grove, CA 92843
www.RabiesChallengeFund.org
Kris L. Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement