Amputation Recommendation - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2012, 07:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Amputation Recommendation

Alrighty! Here is the update on my foster dog, Charlie/Droopy!

Today the mass on the side was aspirated and has been sent off to a lab. The Vet isn't overly concerned about it, and is fairly positive it is simply a cyst. She says she will remove it when she does the rest of his procedures.

Here is where I'm concerned:

He had X-Rays done on April 5th. It showed an issue with the leg. They weren't exactly sure what the problem was, and wanted to see if there were changes in the X-Ray before they made any decisions. Today, he was re-X-Rayed (?) and everything had gotten worse. The Vet says it is one of two things: 1) A horrible injury such as being hit by a car, or having a chain wrapped around his leg that he tried to yank free. This would have caused a bad break that hasn't healed properly and has created a calcium build up. 2) The leg has a cancerous tumor wrapped around the bone.

I saw both sets of X-Rays, and it is pretty clear that whatever is on/around his bone, has gotten bigger. It is a large white area. The Vet has recommended amputating the leg. The Vet also has said that once the leg is removed, they will send it away to a lab for biopsying. If it is a cancerous growth, they will do post surgery set of X-Rays to see if the cancer has spread anywhere else.

Charlie/Droopy seems to be doing fine. I'm not to worried about the amputation because he already doesn't use the leg. His lympnodes are not enlarged nor inflamed. He is not in pain, and he isn't running a fever.

Thoughts? Does this seem overly drastic? I've done some research on bone cancer in dogs, and with amputation, if the cancer hasn't spread, then it's 100% effective in removing the cancer. According to what I've read, amputating and then follow up X-Rays seem the normal procedure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 09:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

with cancer amputation te sooner the better bone cancer is extremely painful as well that said it would be nice to have a definitive diagnose before removing the leg which seem over the top for a problem that might be fixable. The vet may feel even if not cancer it is not fixable hence not worth theeffor to determine cause ahead of time.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

If it's not fixable in either case then it seems reasonable to me - sounds like he'd be mor comfortable without the leg. I've seen a couple of dogs in grooming with bad legs that were just a hindrance to them, but the owners didn't want to remove them.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Kirska

If he won't use it, maybe it is the bone cancer, and he isn't using it because it hurts. I agree that he's probably better off without it.

There is a tripod dog that tours the country doing jumps for that sport where the dogs jump off the dock into the pool. I saw him at the state fair last year. It was great! I bet your foster dog would be happy to get rid of the dead weight.
Kirska is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement