Glaucoma /I need support - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Glaucoma /I need support

My 6yr old male Bassett was diagnosed with glaucoma in his right eye and lost the sight in that eye. Last night he started with the same symptoms in the other eye. Today he is blind. My heart is breaking watching my baby walk into walls and not knowing where he is .does anyone have a blind dog and can help me help him PLEASE
Bzerbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

I do not have a blind dog but from those that have had dogs with this problem they say the dogs have little trouble getting use to things as long as you don't move the furniture around.
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Had a beagle not with glaucoma but sards which results in sudden loss of eye sight. There is a period of adjustment but they do adjust. Actually trying to help them out seem to hinder the process. The beagle switch living residence back and for every six month learned to manage a dog door stairs etc. give it time.

blinddogs yahoo Group
Quote:
Welcome all owners of blind dogs! We are owners of blind/visually impaired dogs and offer support and information in an effort to help you and your dog adjust to their new challenge. Although it's difficult for you now-most dogs adjust well and live happy-full lives. Upon joining we ask you post a introduction. Welcome!
Mikey T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I had a blind dog. It is hard at first but once you and he adapt you will be amazed at how well he gets along without sight. Don't pity or coddle him - he doesn't need it. Just love him like you always do.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Freds eye was removed in november and he is almost totally blind. He has adjusted well. He is 13. My heart was aching for him and then I realized he was doing just fine. It seemed more tramatic for me than him.
smimlitsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

THANKYOU for the feedback my Otis is going back to the vet today to decide if one or both of his eyes need to be removed due to the swelling. You are correct saying he will adjust I know that in my heart but it doesn't stop my endless tears for him. Otis is a puppy that never grew up, greeting everyone with a full body wag and a puddle. Now he sits in the kitchen with his head down, moving very little, confused. I guess that is what bothers me the most, I'm his mom and I can't fix this.
Bzerbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #7 (permalink)

I have never had a blind dog just wanted to say I'm so sorry and I hope he gets better soon. I'm sure it is confusing to him at first the poor fellow. Otis you get well soon we'll be thinking of you. Keep us posted how he is doing.
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bzerbe View Post
THANKYOU for the feedback my Otis is going back to the vet today to decide if one or both of his eyes need to be removed due to the swelling. You are correct saying he will adjust I know that in my heart but it doesn't stop my endless tears for him. Otis is a puppy that never grew up, greeting everyone with a full body wag and a puddle. Now he sits in the kitchen with his head down, moving very little, confused. I guess that is what bothers me the most, I'm his mom and I can't fix this.
There is a grieving process that the owner goes through when a dog loses it's sight. I've heard that this site Owners of Blind Dogs is excellent for support and resources. I think it is affiliated with the Yahoo group that Mikey mentioned.

Ginger learned how to navigate very quickly. When let out the front door she would (well, COULD if she felt like it, but sometimes she wanted to check out the yard and look for cat poop) go straight to the van, find the ramp and go in. When we arrived at a familiar place she had no trouble finding the entrance. She was mostly deaf too, so she learned leash cues - depending on how I held the leash she would know that she had to stop, or that there was something ahead she needed to check out (like steps), or that we were turning, or that it was fine to go ahead.

Last edited by Soundtrack; 02-24-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
I think it is affiliated with the Yahoo group that Mikey mentioned.
that is correct . Helping the dog picking them up is going to couase them to loose orientation. The beagle we owned learned to navigate by alway circling to the left sometimes it was the much longer way to go from one place to another but she could alway get their the only accomidation in the end we made for her was putting rails/side board on open sided stairs so whe would not accidently fail off whe would get very annoyed if you tried to help her even if it was clear she was fustrated. People are much more dependend on their eyes than dogs , dogs really do not see that well one thing that can help is using your voice more. but I thing with a basset they know your coming or a round via smell before you say anything.
Mikey T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

And now I'm in the same boat - Gabby just went suddenly blind this weekend. We're still not sure the cause, we will try to see the opthamologist tomorrow when we go to Montreal for her melanoma treatment.
Ginger was much easier as she went blind slowly and had time to adapt. Gabby is finding this very stressful - as am I, even though I know she will learn to manage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement