Glaucoma /I need support - Page 2 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #11 (permalink)

Poor Gabby good luck to you and her and I hope she gets use to it soon. Like she doesn't have enough going on. Hang in there Gabby.
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #12 (permalink)

Sorry to hear Gabby's suffering - I hope they get to the bottom of it quickly. Poor girl has more than enough going on as do you!

Hope she feels better soon.
loopylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

Aww no, sorry to hear bout Otis and Gabby : (
we r thinking of you both and hope for a speedee adjustment...
--Worm
Old 12-15-2012, 06:13 PM   #14 (permalink)

I had a blind Bassett if you have questions or just need to talk please let me know. I wish you and your Bassett the best.
LovBully26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #15 (permalink)

we had a blind and deaf beagle. she did well but we did have another dog that acted as her guide.....stayed by her when she went outside and would get her when she got turned around in the house, etc.
3kbasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #16 (permalink)

That is so sweet, what a good brother or sister, can't animals be something?
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #17 (permalink)

yes. Her "guide" dog was the basset/lab we have now. The beagle was Molly. We would tell Blondie "Go get Molly" and she would nudge and lead her back. She would block her from walking into walls, etc.

Blondie has also been such a good sister to our basset Sophie.
3kbasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bzerbe View Post
THANKYOU for the feedback my Otis is going back to the vet today to decide if one or both of his eyes need to be removed due to the swelling. You are correct saying he will adjust I know that in my heart but it doesn't stop my endless tears for him. Otis is a puppy that never grew up, greeting everyone with a full body wag and a puddle. Now he sits in the kitchen with his head down, moving very little, confused. I guess that is what bothers me the most, I'm his mom and I can't fix this.
I think this 'not being able to fix it' thing is the worst part of all this. My heart bleeds for you. We've had a couple of incidences of blind bassets- not from glaucoma and for sure, I was concerned about the pressure thing and the eye needing to come out when I read your OP. A couple of our hounds were up the back of the garden when, not realising this was going on, the farmer in the field back there was spraying. Sadly my foundation bitch took a faceful and lost the sight in one eye. Her son wasn't so lucky and lost sight, within hours, in both eyes. He was only 5 at the time, and had come back to us after his owner could no longer keep him. We had another male, younger and a stud dog, by then and he really didn't appreciate the new arrival. Once the older dog went blind, with no period of adjustment, he was totally lost and lashing out at us, and all the other hounds because he was so confused, and on the defensive over the younger hound. After a long talk with our brilliant vet, we decided the kindest thing was to pts. Heartbreaking. I had his eyes tested and indeed found that he'd suffered massive trauma to the back of his eyes, both, which had caused him to lose sight. Nothing to be done. and even more distressing was the fact that his drainage channels were fine - no sign of goniodysgenesis, the condition that can lead to glaucoma.

On the other hand, his mum did well with just one eye, but eventually in old age, gradually lost the sight in the good eye. We built ramps over all steps, made sure not to move anything so she didn't bump into furniture and she actually coped really well until old age caught up with her, and it was time to let her go.

Living with a blind dog can be done. He should adjust, and for sure, once any pain he's probably feeling from the increased pressure is sorted out which I'd suggest is more likely why he's sitting there head down at the moment. I met up with a guy with a Basset who'd had both eyes removed - glaucoma, at my vet's some months back now. He was quite young (tragic) but was happy and managing just fine. Remember, scent is the first sense with our Bassets especially, so hopefully you'll be able to have your guy for many years yet.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:18 AM   #19 (permalink)

My Francis went blind at 6 years from glaucoma. He spent the next 7 years showing me the way. They get really smart really fast.
Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement