Basset dominance issue - Page 3 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 05:15 PM   #21 (permalink)

Wow, I had no idea that a dog may do better not neutered. I'd always heard it kept them out of fights and things. Do you feel the same way about spaying a female?
rebobinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 05:34 PM   #22 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebobinar View Post
Wow, I had no idea that a dog may do better not neutered. I'd always heard it kept them out of fights and things. Do you feel the same way about spaying a female?
I expect my views on castration will be at odds with many, but having a beautiful dog so affected would never do it again. Believe dogs require & benefit from their hormones, they do not magically change over night into biddable boys just because you neuter, the only change is that after a period they fire blanks. Behavioural changes come about through training. I haven't had bitches but they are prone to pyrometra. The RSPCA I've heard has been castrating under 8 weeks, wicked
Vectisvagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #23 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

see the following articles it is not so clear cut with females

Early Spay-Neuter Considerations for the Canine Athlete

and

Long-Term Health Risks and Benefits Associated with Spay / Neuter in Dogs

Quote:

On balance, it appears that no compelling case can be made for neutering most male dogs, especially immature male dogs, in order to prevent future health problems. The number of health problems associated with neutering may exceed the associated health benefits in most cases.

For female dogs, the situation is more complex. The number of health benefits associated with spaying may exceed the associated health problems in some (not all) cases. On balance, whether spaying improves the odds of overall good health or degrades them probably depends on the age of the female dog and the relative risk of various diseases in the different breeds.

Mikey T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #24 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm another one that doesn't believe in neutering males. I do spay my females, but only when they're older (minimum 7 years), unless there's a medical reason to do so. I think by then the effect of hormones is a bit less crucial, and it eliminates the risk of pyo and the nuisance of seasons (for them as well as me).
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #25 (permalink)

I too will spay my bitches, most of mine being done once retired although my most recent buy in Whippet I had done asap. There was enough out there to have persuaded me that the more seasons a bitch is allowed to have, the greater the risk (and it is only a risk!) of later on female cancers. We had one who developed mammary cancer at the end of her days (over 12) and I'd not wish that on my worst enemy . Plus the ever present risk of a pyometra (which thankfully we never had in our bitches which my pet theory suggests was as much down to the fact that when in season, my girls remained exclusively on my property so there was no risk of infectiion). And biggest of all, not having to confine them twice a year.

Spaying them didn't seem to affect them (other than more coat growth and the ever present tendency to put on weight) in the same way it did the two old males we had to castrate because of prostate problems. That I bitterly regretted because they went soft, tended with the weight increase and thicker coat.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #26 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I've only had one develop mammary tumors. They were removed and never came back.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #27 (permalink)

I have looked into the pros and cons of spaying and feel quite comfortable with it after one or two seasons - depending on their development. I do admit it's an easier life on my part. But boys I don't think it should be done (unless medical reasons) - unfortunately having balls is a scapegoat for behaviours that having nothing to do with it...
too often castrating makes it worse not having the testosterone. It can make them feel very insecure and that's a real problem.

And to add Shawn it's a shame you're not here anymore....

Last edited by shakespeare; 12-14-2012 at 05:07 PM.
shakespeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #28 (permalink)

Thank you all for your thoughts on this.
rebobinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #29 (permalink)

I lost my first basset to mammary cancer. The first one wasn't cancerous but it came back then it was and they kept getting worse. Poor thing underwent surgery 3 or 4 times, can't even remember now.

I wish I would have known more about foods and such I may have been able to do something about helping her. Fed Iams at the time and then it had BHA, BHT or both in it. It no longer does but I am sure it didn't help.

And I just had one taken off Maddie about 2 months ago. Because of her age they didn't even send it in to see if it was cancer. She is doing great and I almost had a coronary at the time.

And I will also weigh in here, I believe we are doing it way to young the more I read on it. But I am not sure I could take a female not spayed. Every time Maddie thinks she goes in heat it sends me to the moon. I can't imagine if she could maybe get progo.
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:14 AM   #30 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Andwise

its not easy to predict the mind of the dogs but could also be said that it is nature of dogs to quarrel against other breeds.........
Advertisement