Itchy skin - Page 3 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2011, 09:57 AM   #21 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

he most common allergies in dogs 1. flea bite 2. atopy which are contact and inhalant allergies ie pollen, dust etc. the only way to find the cause is either a blood test or skin patch test for the particular allergies I believe the cost is around 800 dollars either way with that information you can either try to minimize the dogs exposure to the allergens or treat for the specific allergen with the allergy shots mention above the third solution is symply treat the symptoms when they occur.

Keep in mind however if the itch skin is acompanyied by dandruff it is not ussually alergies but a skin condition that basset are prone none as seborrhea. There is no cure treatment requires frequent bathing often more than once a weel with antiseborrheaic ahampooo like selsun blue or shampoos containing coal tar. they must remain in contact with the skin for 15 minutes and rinsed of very thuroughly
Mikey T is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2011, 12:12 PM   #22 (permalink)

Bingley is going through the same this year, but so is our dachshund. We have a pretty large dog community around us and are hearing the same things about dry itchy skin. I give my boys an oatmeal bath and that helps a little, but I can't wait until spring!
se_hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:52 PM   #23 (permalink)

How about trying some type of oil in there food. I supplement with fish oil but have also heard of people using emu oil, coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil. Just a thought as my skin sure does get dry this time of year.
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:47 PM   #24 (permalink)

You may use oatmeal soap to remove the itch. This soap is very effective in reducing the itch and keeping the dog's fur and skin healthy.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:21 AM   #25 (permalink)

Davie has been having itchy skin too. The vet has him on Temaril that seems to working pretty well. He has cut down noticeably on the scratching in just the first week of use. He also hasn't been biting at himself as much as he used to.
dean1857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #26 (permalink)

Ooohh, I dealt with this for 8 years. Being an allergic person myself, I had Lou tested. He was allergic to wool, human dander, grass, trees...BUT...I took it a step further. I changed his diet. Popular FOOD allergens are beef and chicken and even turkey. I bought Lou Nature's diet...vegatarian dry food and gave him lamb and rice canned food mixed in it. Read your labels...most things have chicken by products. Even stay away from beef rawhide. Lou never tolerated the immunizations, they made him worse. For the past 3 years he went on steroids (10 mg prednisone) every other day from May to Oct. That did the trick. I think the single most important thing I did with him was bathe him. I took him right in the shower with me. It made him feel better. Remember allergens are in the air, and can stick to the coat. They are oily enough to tolerate bathing every couple of weeks, said my vet. Good Luck!
Ed's best friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #27 (permalink)

Also keep in mind with seborrhea that if you see a circular type of rash, it can be staph and requires antibiotics
Ed's best friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:32 AM   #28 (permalink)

If that would happen I'd hurriedly go to the vet.

stem cell therapy in dogs
stem cell therapy for dogs
adiposestem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:07 AM   #29 (permalink)

I just posted long post seeking advice in the general forum with similar problems. Please read and tell Meir you can relate to the itching Virgil's having. We put him back on prednisone again for now.
Joanna_larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #30 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Apart from the odd scratch, it didn't really become a problem until after they were neutered, their vet just smiles at me when I mention this as will probably many of you. But it has been ongoing now for five years (think possibly the carpet in this house could also have something to do with it), along with anal glands , colitis & very dirty ears

Have tried so many things over the years, on top of insurance it's cost a fortune & if had the same problem with a youngster - know it is expensive - I'd be testing for allergies. At least you'd have some idea of the cause. Tried so many things & look through forums such as this hoping that I will find the magic answer, but I'm still looking.

After years of procrastinating changed to raw feeding & really believe it's helped (no grains, fillers & would never go back to kibble), colitis is under control, ears are better but they're still itching. Shampoo with Seleen (leaving it as long as possible between washes), wash/rub down legs & underparts when ever we come back wet from a walk with warm water with a few drops of hibiscrub & dry well, use sudocrem on affected areas, dew lap & legs. Some times it gets better, don't think winter heating helps, don't use washing powder on bedding just a hot wash. Whether it is worse in certain lines (ours aren't heavily skinned) I don't know, but bloody uncomfortable for the dog & wish sometimes vets would get to the cause rather than 'oh it's a Basset' thing'. Vet asked me on a scale of 1-10 where would I place Lucas, said 9, 'no' he laughed 'he isn't that bad, I'd say he's a 3/4', all I can say is that I feel very sorry for a Basset that scores a 10! Good luck to you both.
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement