Entropion surgery - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2011, 05:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Entropion surgery

My vet recommended Entropion surgery on both of Gwenny's eyes. Anyone have a basset that had to get this done? It is causing her a lot of discomfort and eye issues. So I think it will be best to correct it. He said that it will cost average of $600-800. I looked online and other dog owners are saying they paid no more than $300 for this eyelid correction. What is the recovery like? What does their eyes look like afterwards?
Tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2011, 05:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday View Post
My vet recommended Entropion surgery on both of Gwenny's eyes. Anyone have a basset that had to get this done? It is causing her a lot of discomfort and eye issues. So I think it will be best to correct it. He said that it will cost average of $600-800. I looked online and other dog owners are saying they paid no more than $300 for this eyelid correction. What is the recovery like? What does their eyes look like afterwards?

Our poor Charlotte has had 3 eye lid correction surgeries for her cherry eye she developed as a young puppy. We have spent close to 2grand on the surgeries and her left eye still has a protruding 3rd eyelid, neither looks cosmetically perfect. She also still need to have neo-poly-dex eye oint (an antibotic onit) applyed when her eyes get irratated.

We were also told that it should have been a fairly simple procedure and only 300-400 dollars. We went to a local vet who told us he specialized in this kind of work but we feel he did a terrible job. When she came home from the first eye surgery they looked worse than when we brought her in the next 2 surgeries were to correct what the doctor damaged from the first go around.
We have decided that even though cosmetically it looks like she should go in for a 4th to have her left eyelid retucked we are not going to put her through that unless we have to.
LottesMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Awww..poor Charlotte. That sounds rough. Maybe I should go for a second opinion. ??? I know there is something that needs done to it but maybe surgery really isn't the answer. Her extra irritated eye is starting to look further back. It's hard to explain. She squints at night and paws at them so I know that it is causing her discomfort. She has constant wetness and tears.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

I wish I could get a picture of her eyes to post but she moves too much...lol
Old 01-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Our Vet told us that if she ever starts to paw at it that means she is uncomfortable or in pain and to bring her back to a vet so I would be careful. After our experience (only going to her regular vet and not getting a second opinion) I would advise you talk to at least one other vet preferably a vet who specializes in optometry.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

ALso if she starts to grind her head up against you or something semi-soft it might mean she's having eye problems. Francis did that during his glaucoma treatments, as soon as he did that I would know that his pressures were back up and we'd end up in the vet E.R. within minutes.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

I went to another vet and so glad I did. I found the greatest vet! She is awesome and spent so much time with us in the room answering any questions. She knows a lot about bassets. She said that surgery shouldn't be done. Checked for scratches on the surface of her eyes and gave Gwen some eye drops (different than what she was previously given) and said that her eye lids look normal (for a basset) and that she just has a case of conjunctivitis. I can't believe how some vets are such crooks, taking advantage of people who will obviously do anything for their pets. Last year, my cat ate a ken doll foot. He had to stay overnight until he passed it on his own. It cost us $1000.00. All the vet did was give him a laxative.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

UGH! I'm soo glad you got a second opinion!
Old 01-25-2011, 08:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hooray I am so happy for you and your puppy. The eye surgeries were pretty traumatic for us I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I hope her eyes feel better soon.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

Great to hear! Hope she recuperates quickly.
I think most vets really aren't up on the things that can go awry in basset eyes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement