"Rash or Hot Spot" behind front legs - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2009, 11:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Hi all,

Flash is my 2 year old basset hound. He's got a "rash" or "hot spots" behind his front legs. I've never seen him scratch at this area or attempt to lick at this area. It doesn't seem to bother him, but it worries me.

The areas are red and irritated looking with tiny black spots. No hair loss. The vet did look at it last year and thought it was possibly hot spots that he was licking or scratching when I wasn't watching. They recommended that I put a t-shirt on Flash to keep him from getting to that area. Well Flash thought the t-shirt was a new game and it took him less than 5 minutes to figure out how to get it off.

The areas are no bigger than they were last year and like I said it doesn't seem to bother him. Just wondering if anyone else has seen anything like this and what to do about it?

Thanks!

Kathey
KW-Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2009, 07:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

Could it be allergies? Maybe you could discuss that possiblility with your vet-

Because of allergies, Murray's armpits get red, itchy and irritated, and he's developed yeast in those areas- that could be what the black spots are.

As far as what to do about it, I don't know if there's a solution that will completely clear it up- Murray's allergy problems are chronic and I just deal with it on an on-going basis,

Some things that seem to help: wiping the area with Malaseb (you can get it from your vet) seems to help, and some people seem to have luck with a light dusting of Gold Bond Medicated Baby Powder which keeps the armpits dry (I never use this if the skin is broken)-

(edited to say, when he has open sores, I use Genticin Spray which seems to combat infection and inflammation- this helps to heal any sores pretty quickly- you can ask your vet about it-)

Murry's problems get alot worse when it's hot and humid. Last year was the worst I've ever seen him; this year he's doing better so far.

If you search (top bar of the web page) the archive on the forum, you'll find alot on this subject.
murraysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Murraysmom does exactly what we do with our Bogie. He gets irritated armpits which are deep recesses and we to use the same items from the vet. His also gets started when it gets very hot and humid, which is NOW in Memphis. So far so good this year but we check his pits daily and start treatment as soon as they look irritated. We powder regulary which helps with prevention. The black spots in Bogie's pits tend to be imbeded dirt in the pores, generally starting after walking arter a rain and splashing dirty water into the arm pit area. We wash gently with warm water and his shampoo which helps and then powder.
BubbaLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

I don't think that has happened to Freddy, my last Basset or to my Charlie which I have right now.
jacob5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

I wanted to name my Bridgette "Flash" but it wasn't fitting because she is a girl. LOL Mine too has a hot spot, and you should talk to your vet about it. They can help you clear it up. But the main thing would be to keep it clean and dry. It could be infected, but the fact that it has not grown tells me it is not. So try keeping it clean and dry and if he is biting at it, try an E- coller for a bit. Otherwise they can give you a steroid cream for it. It's basically like dermatitis that humans get.
Bridgette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

I think they sometimes get sweaty in the underarm areas where skin is touching skin (like some people) and maybe you could use some unperfumed talc now and again to keep it dry or if it becomes pinkish, dab some Calamine lotion on it and it will sooth and cool the area and dry to a white powder. It only costs about 90p a bottle in the chemist!
SophieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to smitte21

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW-Flash View Post
Hi all,

Flash is my 2 year old basset hound. He's got a "rash" or "hot spots" behind his front legs. I've never seen him scratch at this area or attempt to lick at this area. It doesn't seem to bother him, but it worries me.

The areas are red and irritated looking with tiny black spots. No hair loss. The vet did look at it last year and thought it was possibly hot spots that he was licking or scratching when I wasn't watching. They recommended that I put a t-shirt on Flash to keep him from getting to that area. Well Flash thought the t-shirt was a new game and it took him less than 5 minutes to figure out how to get it off.

The areas are no bigger than they were last year and like I said it doesn't seem to bother him. Just wondering if anyone else has seen anything like this and what to do about it?

Thanks!

Kathey
It's actually a yeast problem or at least sounds like one. I treat Roxie's that she sometimes gets with our ear cleaner as that is what cleans up yeasty ears as well. The cleaner I use is called Clean Blue I think.

www.savybassets.net
smitte21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement