Spencer had a seizure - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2009, 09:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

I'll try not to make this too long. This morning, Spencer had a seizure. I was up & about, but he had not been out of bed yet. I walked in the room & I noticed his head twitching & he had a look in his eyes like he wasn't there. I started petting & talking to him & within a minute, he was in a full seizure - convulsing, head back, tongue out, eyes rolling & he lost control of his bladder. Of course I'm about to lose it. Luckily my sister was next door at my Mom's & I had a phone handy so I called her to come over. The convulsing lasted not more than a couple minutes & then he was out of it for maybe 10 minutes. That time was almost scarier than the actual seizure. He seemed partially paralyzed and his eyes were HUGE & he just stared, obviously not aware of anything. We kept talking to him & petting him & all of a sudden he focused on me, started wagging his tail, got up & started running around the house like a maniac. I called the vet & they had me bring him in. They examined him & drew blood (results due Monday) & told me what I described was actually minor & very typical. They said the wild behavior after the seizure was normal & could last up to a couple hours. It was 4 hours before he calmed down. Since then, he seems ok. I expected him to be exhausted, but he hasn't been. He drank alot of water today & seemed hungrier than usual, which they told me to expect. They gave me all the possibilities of what it could be, but cautioned that it is often difficult to pinpoint the cause & until the bloodwork comes back, I should just watch him. They said if the blood work is normal, they would likely just "wait & see," because treatment is not usually undertaken unless the seizures become frequent or long in duration. I've done a lot of reading & everything they said is in line with what I've read, but now I feel like a first time mama with a brand new baby - I don't want to let him out of my sight. Any one have experience with this?
AmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2009, 09:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Artie age 10 started having seizures in September 2007. After the first one, the vet kept him a day and did bloodwork, ultrasound of his liver and chest and ekg. When everything came back fine, they had me bring him again for a bile acids test. Basically, they draw blood before the dog eats, then again after he eats and compare the results. This test also showed nothing abnormal. Two months went by before another seizure, and the vet thought it best to continue to watch and wait. Three more months before the next seizure occurred, at which time Artie was prescribed phenobarbital. That was last February 21. He has been seizure free since then and his liver shows no signs of damage from the meds. The side effects he did experience only lasted about 2 weeks and included sedation, hunger, and lots of whining.The vet has said that if seizures should return/worsen, we might need to investigate the possibility of a brain tumor, but Artie seems no worse for the wear and continues to terrorize the entire household as he sees fit.

I know how scary it is to watch the seizure, and there's not much you can do besides make sure they don't hurt themselves until they snap out of it. I hope Spencer feels better and doesn't have to go through another one.
finnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Murray had one seizure 2 years ago when he was about 4 , and never had another one.

Let us know how it goes- I hope it turns out to be a once and done episode like Murray.
murraysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

Last Christmas break (not the one that just passed) my boy Gibbs had a seizure. Though not as extreme as Spencer's. I too was absolutely freaking out (which I'm sure only worsened the situation). All tests the doctors ran came back fine. He hasn't had another one since. The vet I went to had a dog that used to seizure, so I was lucky in that she was familiar with the situation. Hopefully this will be a 1 time thing for Spencer. Let us know how it goes.

~Heather

Miss you Lily (ATB 3/15/12) & Gibbs (6/10/14). My original "hound dogs"...lost, but never forgotten.
2hounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks finnn, muraysmom and 2 hounds for your comments and good wishes. I talked to Spencer's vet today, and she said his blood test looked good. The only thing out of whack was an enzyme that is secreted by the muscles, but she thought that was due to the seizure & the fact that the muscles were contracting violently. She said for now the recommendation was to just watch him & see if he has another seizure. Since Saturday, he has been doing ok. All day Saturday he was a little off, but seemed normal yesterday & today. The neighbor who lets him out daily came over twice today to make sure he was ok, and he got to spend a few hours outside since the weather was very mild. We had a walk this afternoon, some play time in the yard & he is now sleeping peacefully.
AmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

That's good to hear. I know it's scary, but I'm glad things look good so far.

~Heather

Miss you Lily (ATB 3/15/12) & Gibbs (6/10/14). My original "hound dogs"...lost, but never forgotten.
2hounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

So glad to hear he's doing OK now. Hopefully that was his first and last seizure. Stay healthy, Spencer!
BubbaLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
So glad to hear he's doing OK now. Hopefully that was his first and last seizure. Stay healthy, Spencer![/b]

One siezure is not atypical in a life time.

FWIW
The epiletic dog I had the post ictal phase lasted 24 hours and was marked not by manic activity by rather a lack of any. Neither is a typical each dog usually has there own pattern. I think the first siezure is hardest on the dog and owner because they don't understand what is happening. You may want to discuss with your vet a perscription for (valium) to be adminstered rectally in the case of an emergency. custer or status sizure (siezure lasting 10 minute or more) can kill. Just because the dog never had one before does not mean it won't

EMERGENCY CARE FOR CANINE SEIZURES
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

My late cocker had occasional seizures that were never treated. My vet said basically that same thing your vet did, that unless the seizures were frequent and violent, they don't give meds for them. Molly would seize, we'd stay with her through it, she'd bounce up when it was over and greet us like we'd been gone for six months, and life would go on. She lived til the age of 13 with no other issues.....
Old 09-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

I am experiencing the seizure situation with my basset Sadie. She started having them about a month ago and its horrible to see! They are starting to occur daily now. Our vet cant get her in until Oct 7th, so im curious about how serious this is? Am I too worried about it because they certainly dont seem to be. But after her seizure, she seems confused at first and eventually snaps back to her old self again. She goes for the food dish or the bathtub for a drink, a bad habit we started, lol. She is pushing 12 years old so I didnt know if this was something to expect with age for a basset or if there could be an underlying problem making the seizures take place.
Kim Swackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement