tripping or stumbles when being walked - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2008, 09:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

My 1 1/2 year old basset walks 3 miles a day with me. He will stumble or trip over his front paw at times. Does anyone know if this is just a short leg, big paw problem or a sign of a problem? <_<
honden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2008, 11:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
My 1 1/2 year old basset walks 3 miles a day with me. He will stumble or trip over his front paw at times. Does anyone know if this is just a short leg, big paw problem or a sign of a problem? <_< [/b]

Toughy my first agility dog did the same thing. one or the other front leg would colapse and he would almost fall down. It never happened while running only walking and never really bother him and i never know a dog more protective of his body. It is not an uncomon occurance in the breed and is not ussually a sign of an underlying problem. But it never hurts to get it check out.

btw he was long legges and small footed for a basset anyway. see avatar
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Toughy my first agility dog did the same thing. one or the other front leg would colapse and he would almost fall down. It never happened while running only walking and never really bother him and i never know a dog more protective of his body. It is not an uncomon occurance in the breed and is not ussually a sign of an underlying problem. But it never hurts to get it check out.
btw he was long legges and small footed for a basset anyway. see avatar[/b]
Old 12-10-2008, 01:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice. Called the breeder, she said bassets are a clumsy dog and walking at a brisk pace for that long may be just that plain old clumsy. He runs and never stumbles. No pain, no limp etc. Makes me feel better to have heard the positive thoughts.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. Called the breeder, she said bassets are a clumsy dog and walking at a brisk pace for that long may be just that plain old clumsy. He runs and never stumbles. No pain, no limp etc. Makes me feel better to have heard the positive thoughts.[/b]

It's usually a sign of unsoundness in the front end. Nothing that would affect his ability to be a pet or cause him difficulty, but something a breeder should take into consideration.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Bubba (AT used to do the exact same thing. We always attributed it to his not paying attention to what he was doing. We always laughed, because his "star gazing" would cause him to trip going up stairs,etc. but never going down, because he paid attention to what he was doing while going down stairs. He just wasn't graceful on his feet most of the time.
Bogie, same gene pool and Bubba's nephew, is I guess you would say "very athletic" and never trips or stumbles. Just like humans some are graceful and light on their feet and some aren't, but it wouldn't hurt to have him checked by a vet to be sure there isn't and under lying problem.
BubbaLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 11:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
It's usually a sign of unsoundness in the front end. Nothing that would affect his ability to be a pet or cause him difficulty, but something a breeder should take into consideration.[/b]
I have noticed that his right front paw turns out more than his left. In addition, he has worn his front toe nails down to the quick to the point that one on easch front paw bleeds a little. Again he has NO tender spots on his front legs, elbows etc. No limp. I notice he stumbles most when we are walking and his nose is going along the ground. Maybe he steps on his ears and our forward motion causes the fall???? Tell me more about front end weakness. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement