Skin Issues? - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2008, 04:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

I love my Abby to pieces but for the past year she has had an awful skin issue. One vet say allergies, one says just dry skin. Has anyone had experience with skin issues? Right under her chin between the big flaps of skin it gets raw and really red. She has lost the fur here because it is irritated. Now she has flaky skin in her back and has a smell to her. She also gets red blotces on her belly depending on the day. Any advice would be appreciated!
Abbysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2008, 12:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
? Right under her chin between the big flaps of skin it gets raw and really red. She has lost the fur here because it is irritated. Now she has flaky skin in her back and has a smell to her. She also gets red blotces on her belly depending on the day. Any advice would be appreciated![/b]
Given Dandruff and odor it is quite possible niether diagnoses is correct. Bassets are prone to a skin condition know as Seborrhea In bassets it is thought to be a primary desease of genetic orgin rather than a secondary condition as is the case in many other breeds.

The odor itching, bothing, frequent ear infections are the result of secondary yeast infection that often acoompanies it. It is one of the few skin conditions that frequent bathing actual help but it require that anti-fungal and ani seborrhea shampoo be left on for atleast 15 minutes before rinsing.

There are a myriad of other posibilities as well and most skin conditions are not straight forward in that the most problamticv symptoms and cause are often secondary like yeast infections however even if you cure then they come right back unless the underlie cause is found as well. For a skin problems I recomend a referral to a vet specializing in dermatology in the end they can save you time and money chasing down the cause,

If the dog is fed out of or drinks out a plastic bowl you should switch to stainless steel or ceramic as this may be the cause of the dermatitis around the neck/mouth from the FDA Is Your Pet Itching for Relief?
Quote:
Jeffers occasionally sees dogs in his clinic with "plastic dish dermatitis," an irritation to the skin on the nose caused by a reaction to an antioxidant found in a plastic food or water dish. The condition clears up when the pet is switched to a metal or ceramic dish[/b]
Find a dermatologist

What is shampoo Therapy

Shampoo Therapy

MALESSEZIA INFECTION

Seborrhea in Dogs
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 02:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
lvbassets

Wink

Skin issues? Don't know if this is what your bassey has but; Tummy Boy gets (lip fold Pyroderma) SP?It is always coming back. The Vet gives me a RX to apply on wet rag & leave on for five min. Rinse , dry apply a little Neosporin. If it's not real bad you can get pledgets (small circular pad to wipe area with once per day. Maybe this would help? Tummy Boy's Mom .
Old 12-25-2008, 08:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Rusty is the king of Lip Fold Pyoderma I did switch from plastic bowls to ceramic and have notice an improvement. He is such a wet mouth it's hard to keep that area dry. A breeding ground for problems to occur.
Rusty Stickers Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

could be a food allergy.what brand are you feeding now and what is the protein and fat levels of the food? my one dog a Brittany had some problems like what you are saying and when i switched foods it cleared up.i used to feed her Purina Hi-Pro,switched to Sportsman's Pride and it cleared up,when i could not get SP,went back to Purina and it came back,switched to Diamond,than before the recall went to Black Gold,could not get the BG and went with Buckeye,tried Purina again( pro plan) switched again cause dogs were not keeping weight on,found a BG dealer and they also carry the SP which I'm using now again which i think is just a tad better than the Black Gold Black Bag that i was feeding,food is preserved with Vitamin E,has what they call "Omega Pride" Skin and Coat System,and Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate added plus it's 2 bucks a 50lb. bag cheaper than the Black Gold.All this trial and error was done over a 5 year period,and i would use any of the foods except for Purina,with Diamond being a last resort if i could not get any of the other 3 foods.My top 3 rankings would be Sportsman's Pride getting the edge over the Black Gold because of it being Chicken based ( 26% pro.18% fat) and because of the above extra's in the food than the Black Gold Black Bag(26%-18%) than the Buckeye( can't remember which formula off hand).these are my personal favorites and in no way am i trying to push any one food on you,but this could be some info of use to you.they all have different formula's( lamb & rice,etc.) and i found these 3 very friendly on the wallet.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Treating the dogs symptoms may include,cool baths with or without colloidal oatmeal, Epsom salts, or medicated shampoos. This can be done frequently but provides only temporary relief. Sarcoptic and demodectic mange are both caused by different skin mites. Proper diagnosis and identification by your veterinarian is critical for correct treatment.When the skin is healthy, it is smooth and supple while being free of flakes, irritation, parasites, sores, lumps or hair loss,Common signs of possible skin problems are intense itching, scabs or actual bleeding, swelling, redness and inflammation, foul smelling discharges, dandruff, patches or overall hair loss, discoloration and lumps.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

my precious is just a year.....this is our first summer and over the weekend i noticed her collar has completely rubbed the folds of her neck/jowls raw.....sounds like this is pretty common but the goofy girls won't stop scratching so it just won't heal!!! does anyone have a shampoo or topical creme they've found to work???
tdeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdeven View Post
my precious is just a year.....this is our first summer and over the weekend i noticed her collar has completely rubbed the folds of her neck/jowls raw.....sounds like this is pretty common but the goofy girls won't stop scratching so it just won't heal!!! does anyone have a shampoo or topical creme they've found to work???

Hydrocortosone cremes and sprays can work they are slower on effectiveness than local anelgesics and is generally safe with few side effects espcial when compared to oral administration of steriods.

Local anelgesics are general faster acting but I would avoid using any producted containing benzocaine on a dogs as it has been implecated in
a number of severe adverse reactions in dogs. Lidocaine is safer provided the dog is not on the anti siezure medication phenobarbitol which could result is a serious drug interaction there are a number of other topical anelgesics as well. On thing of note using human skin care products on dogs can result in increased skin irratation in dogs with sensitive skin. Humans have acidic skin around a ph 5-5.5 whereas dogs have a nuetral skin ph of ~7 Therefore I would recommend an anti-itch product made specifical for dogs when the skin is raw and exposed.

Topical Dog Pain Killer

Quote:
These products include ingredients such as lidocaine, Bupivacaine, tetracaine, and epinephrine. You can also use gauze pads with the medication that can be applied directly to the skin as a dog pain killer. The topical analgesic usually needs to be on the skin 20 to 30 minutes to be effective.
Benzocaine-induced methemoglobinemia in dogs.

Lidocaine and pentobarbital: A potentially lethal drug-drug interaction*1

DermCare Anti-Itch Spray for Dogs & Cats
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Charlie had this same thing about 6 months ago and at the same time had an ear infection. His vet said it was a skin fold infection. He treated him with an antibiotic and steroids (for the ear infection I assumed) and had me clean his neck with vinegar to balance the PH levels (?), then gave me a powder to apply twice a day. He was better in a few days.

About a month ago my other basset Lillie appeared to have the same skin fold infection, so I began treating her with the same procedure and powder. It became worse after about 3 days. So off to the vet we went. He said hers was allergies and to stop the prescription powder. He said to spray it really good with peroxide twice a day, then dry it and try to keep it dry (yeah, right...she's a basset who's ears and neck STAY wet from the water bowl!). Anyway...she is much better now - but still has a few rough little spots on her neck.
Charlie & Lillies Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:24 AM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to smitte21

One way to combat it is to take off the collar. Without the collar the skin isn't held down so tight and air can get in there better or if you have a collar on them have it on very loose.

www.savybassets.net
smitte21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement