Knots under skin... - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2008, 12:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hello...Long time since I've had a chance to drop in..I have been doing well and Presley of course..owns my heart.... I have a concern about her..I noticed a couple of small lumps under her skin recently..now Elvis used to get these all the time and my old vet would just lance them..well my old vet can't deal well with Presley (and her nail trims) so I found an old time vet that is great..he has been practicing for 30 years or more... he said "If they ant bothering her..then don't let them bother you" and said he don't like to lance them..but to just cut them out and stitch her up...well one has gotten much bigger..you can see it from across the room..and it is in fact bugging me..but she don't' seem to care..Should I have it removed? I worry about her so much...after losing Elvis to Bloat I stay up with her every time she acts a little strange....just thought I would get some opinions....Thanks
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2008, 01:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Well, if they are the same thing my dear Chloe has, I leave them alone unless they are in a spot where they get irritated or if they start to weep. Then, you can have them removed. The way it was explained to me is that if you lance them and don't remove the "sac", then the sac is apt to just refill again. By removing the sac, you remove the problem -- at that particular spot. No guarantee they won't get more elsewhere!

Beautiful pup!

Colleen
bcc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

More than likely, they are benign. Bassets seem to be magnets for lumps and bumps. I live outside of Versailles and have a great vet who seems well-versed in the various lumps and bumps. Where do you live? If you don't want to post that info publicly, send me a private message. But more than likely the bumps are nothing to worry about.
Lightning&Stomps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
More than likely, they are benign. Bassets seem to be magnets for lumps and bumps. I live outside of Versailles and have a great vet who seems well-versed in the various lumps and bumps. Where do you live? If you don't want to post that info publicly, send me a private message. But more than likely the bumps are nothing to worry about.[/b]
I live in Lexington....
Old 10-27-2008, 04:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
More than likely, they are benign[/b]
The proplem is the occasion when one is not. No one with certainty can tell whether a tumor/cyst. lump/bump is cancerious or not without the ad of a microskope and a fair sampling of cell from the growth. A fine needle asperation to collect cells is the least invasive procedure for checking such growths and is quite accurate but not always 100% because it is dependant on where the cells were collected. Removal and biopsy is more acurate and invasive. If the grrowth is problematic this is the best course of action because you want to remove it anyway. If not the loss of acuracy from a needle asperation is negligiable so generally prefered if the the lump does not need to be removed if it is non-cancerous,

After have two mast cell cancers initall misdiagnosed I do think it is important to have every lump tested.

Canine Mast Cell Tumors
Quote:
Mast cell tumors (MCT) are cancerous proliferations of mast cells. Although they can and will spread throughout the body, the danger from mast cell tumors arises from the secondary damage caused by the release of chemicals that they produce. These chemicals can cause systemic problems that include gastric ulcers, internal bleeding, and a range of allergic manifestations. Clearly, mast cell tumors affect both lifespan and quality of life. Sometimes mast cell tumors are referred to as "the great imposters," as there is no way to definitively identify them without a biopsy and pathology report. Mast cell tumors vary widely in their size, shape, appearance, texture, and location. It can be difficult not only to recognize mast cell tumors but to predict their course. They may be relatively innocent or aggressively malignant. As mast cell tumors are very common in dogs, it is important for the regular pet owner to have at least a basic understanding of what they are and how they work.[/b]
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
More than likely, they are benign[/b]
The proplem is the occasion when one is not. No one with certainty can tell whether a tumor/cyst. lump/bump is cancerious or not without the ad of a microskope and a fair sampling of cell from the growth. A fine needle asperation to collect cells is the least invasive procedure for checking such growths and is quite accurate but not always 100% because it is dependant on where the cells were collected. Removal and biopsy is more acurate and invasive. If the grrowth is problematic this is the best course of action because you want to remove it anyway. If not the loss of acuracy from a needle asperation is negligiable so generally prefered if the the lump does not need to be removed if it is non-cancerous,

After have two mast cell cancers initall misdiagnosed I do think it is important to have every lump tested.

Canine Mast Cell Tumors
Quote:
Mast cell tumors (MCT) are cancerous proliferations of mast cells. Although they can and will spread throughout the body, the danger from mast cell tumors arises from the secondary damage caused by the release of chemicals that they produce. These chemicals can cause systemic problems that include gastric ulcers, internal bleeding, and a range of allergic manifestations. Clearly, mast cell tumors affect both lifespan and quality of life. Sometimes mast cell tumors are referred to as "the great imposters," as there is no way to definitively identify them without a biopsy and pathology report. Mast cell tumors vary widely in their size, shape, appearance, texture, and location. It can be difficult not only to recognize mast cell tumors but to predict their course. They may be relatively innocent or aggressively malignant. As mast cell tumors are very common in dogs, it is important for the regular pet owner to have at least a basic understanding of what they are and how they work.[/b]
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Well, howdy neighbor! With my dogs, it seems that most vets believe in the adage "when in doubt, cut it out." I don't like that at all. My boys would spend more time in surgery than they would with me! But Mikey is right--you can't assume they're all harmless. I see a vet in Midway who always aspirates lumps. I think the clinic is called Midway Small Animal Clinic, if you're interested in trying a new vet. It's a haul from where you are, but it's a pretty haul!
Lightning&Stomps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for all the info... I am taking her in for her yearly stuff in a few weeks..I guess I'll see if the Vet wants to remove it...How much does it cost usually to have one removed and/or checked to see if Cancerous? I only want whats best for my girl..I do love her so.... Another picture..sorry I love to show her off...

Old 10-30-2008, 02:38 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Well, howdy neighbor! With my dogs, it seems that most vets believe in the adage "when in doubt, cut it out." I don't like that at all. My boys would spend more time in surgery than they would with me! But Mikey is right--you can't assume they're all harmless. I see a vet in Midway who always aspirates lumps. I think the clinic is called Midway Small Animal Clinic, if you're interested in trying a new vet. It's a haul from where you are, but it's a pretty haul![/b]
Well Howdy... I love Midway..I ride a Motorcycle and really enjoy Midway....
Advertisement