Dirty arm pits - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2007, 07:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Just wondering. Does anyone else have a problem with their Basset having dirty, smelly armpits? I can give Dixie a bath and in a few days her pits will be cruddy and smelly. Between baths, which I give every 3 weeks or so, I have to get down on the floor and scrub her armpits with soft bristle tooth brush and soapy water. I know dogs don't sweat under their arms/legs, but she gets moist under there . The pores under her pits are large and collect dirt easily and if I don't clean her regularly, her pits will break down.
Good part of the story is that she absolutely loves the attention of me cleaning her and just lays there and lets me clean away. It's a great time to clean ears too. I could probably even play dress-up and apply make-up on her and she would lay there and let me. lol
Soooo? If anyone does have this problem, what do you do combat/control it?

Mom2Dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2007, 08:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Murray tends to have a problem with yeast in his armpits during the summer.

If the skin is not raw, I wipe lightly with Malaseb every few days- a light dusting of Gold Bond Medicated Baby Powder also seems to keep moisture at a minimum and seems to help- again, I only use this if his skin is not sore.

When sores develop, I use Gentocin Topical Spray which I get from our vet- it contains cortisone and antibiotic and has been a god-send since it seems to heal sore spots within a day or two-
murraysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

I've used Gentocin before. It works great! Shami gets those yucky pits sometimes and I try to catch it before it gets bad with the Gold Bond Powder. I also have a Chlorhexiderm shampoo that I got from the vets. If the powder doesn't help I scrub her pits with that. This is the time of year that they seem to have the problems.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

Another thing -- I keep a spray bottle with undiluted peroxide handy. I find a spritz of this a couple of times a week, along with Gold Bond, does a good job controlling yeasty pits......
Old 07-14-2007, 03:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Bogie currently has yeasty arm pits and yeast between his toes and pads. The vet has us using "miconazole 2% cream" that can be bought over the counter and "malaseb pledgets" wipes. Once we get it cleared up we will start using Gold Bond powder as a prevention for further occurances. This is Bogie's first time with the yeast problem.

It's possible that Dixie has a yeast problem since her pits continue to get smelly and cruddy. You might want to get a vet to check her out. Bogie's do not smell, but look red, moist, and sore when we first discovered that he had a problem.
BubbaLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Bogie currently has yeasty arm pits and yeast between his toes and pads. The vet has us using "miconazole 2% cream" that can be bought over the counter and "malaseb pledgets" wipes. Once we get it cleared up we will start using Gold Bond powder as a prevention for further occurances. This is Bogie's first time with the yeast problem.

It's possible that Dixie has a yeast problem since her pits continue to get smelly and cruddy. You might want to get a vet to check her out. Bogie's do not smell, but look red, moist, and sore when we first discovered that he had a problem.[/b]

There is a miconazole dream --DiabetX-- I use with Zoey; we've had some great success with it. This stuff has urea(!) and is for human feet....I highly recomend. Zoey has had some awful bouts with yeast in her pits and I've been doing the gold bond thing for years. I'd love to know about the peroxide treatment, however....does it irritate the pooch at all? How often and and what concentrations?
dealia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
There is a miconazole dream --DiabetX-- I use with Zoey; we've had some great success with it. This stuff has urea(!) and is for human feet....I highly recomend. Zoey has had some awful bouts with yeast in her pits and I've been doing the gold bond thing for years. I'd love to know about the peroxide treatment, however....does it irritate the pooch at all? How often and and what concentrations?[/b]
I keep straight, undiluted peroxide in a spray bottle. Once or twice a week, I spritz some in the offending pits, rug it in a bit, then wipe down with a towel. Followed by a sprinkle of Gold Bond, it works well......
Old 07-25-2007, 12:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ahhh, ok. I'm going to try that today.
I'm thinking you mean the 3% solution from the brown bottles for the spray...undiluted peroxide, or at least higher solutions can be pretty rough on the skin. I just want to clarify if I'm going to use the dollar bottle of if I'm to use the more expensive stuff :P
dealia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement