Help with breeding and showing - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2000, 08:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help with breeding and showing

I'm looking for some advice! I currently have two bassets. One five year old male (neutered) and a nine year old female (rescue dog, spayed). I'm a vet tech with ten years experience and a trainer with five years. For some time I wanted to get into showing and eventually breeding bassets. I've done my research and waited until I was financially able. Well, I'm ready. Can anyone give me some help? I've emailed a few breeders and everyone said that they don't sell dogs for breeding. I understand that. I'm not going into this lightly. I won't be a backyard breeder. I plan on buying a pup, female, train and show her and then eventually breed her to a stud. I would appreciate any advice any one is willing to give me. Thank you. Melissa

------------------
bassetbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2000, 09:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Help with breeding and showing

You didn't mention whether you have been attending dog shows; if so, do you have some knowledge of various lines from your area? Do you know what you like in a basset and whose bassets you like? You will need to spend some time getting to know basset exhibitors and breeders in your area to learn more about the breed and to possibly find yourself a mentor.

I cannot speak as a breeder and don't want to misrepresent myself. However, I imagine that some breeders may also be looking for evidence that a first-time buyer of a show-quality puppy has some experience with the world of dog shows. This experience will often have been gained by having put obedience, tracking, or agility titles on other dogs they own. Because you are asking a breeder to take a chance on you by selling you a show quality dog, the breeder would understandably probably want some type of objective evidence that you are committed to and capable of titling the dog s/he sells you, whether you do it yourself or hire someone else to handle the dog.

Perhaps some of the breeders who frequent this forum will be able to offer you some additional thoughts. Good luck in your endeavors.

------------------
Betsy
CH "Buffet" CD TDX NA VC
"Bugsie" UDX NA NAJ

[This message has been edited by Betsy Iole (edited 05-23-2000).]
CH Bugle Bay's AllUCanEat Buffet CDX RN TDX NA CGC BHCA-VCX, 1996-2008
"Bugsie" UDX NA NAJ CGC, 1991-2006
Betsy Iole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2000, 10:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the information. And yes, I've been going to shows for quite some time. On and off for the last five years. But on a regular basis for the last year. My one dog has titles in obedience, agility, CGC, and therapy. Although he was neutered at a young age and is not 'show'quality, so I tried to take him as far as possible. There is not a quality breeder in my area that I can mentor under. Although, I am a professional trainer and am currently working with St. Bernards. (Not my breed by choice, the owners choice.) I understand and respect a kennel for not selling their dogs to just anyone. But, I do feel that I am going about this in the right way and will be patient until I am able to obtain and continue with this dream. Thanks again for the input.

------------------
Old 05-24-2000, 07:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
RKL

Your mistake is bringing up breeding when you approach a breeder of quality dogs. Too many people quit after showing a few times and another good bitch is wasted, bred to the wrong dog, or worse.

Starting out, you would be advised to look for a show quality male. There are always more males than females in a litter and few breeders hang on to all the good males. Many finishable males end up in pet homes. A good bitch, on the other hand, is like gold and is not risked on a novice.

Once you have proven yourself on a dog by finishing him and listening to your mentor's advice, you will find it easier to acquire a nice bitch. Don't however, expect to get one without strings or with the expectation that you can breed her to the male you just spent a couple of thousand dollars finishing.

Good luck.
RKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2000, 12:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice. It sounds good to me. I'm starting to look for good breeders and will discuss the option of purchasing a male for show. I would love to show my own dog and would be happy doing so with a male. I'm in no rush to breed. It's just something I want to do in the future. So this might be the way to go. Thanks again.

------------------
Old 05-24-2000, 05:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Your profile says you live in Pennsylvania.
There are 5 basset hound clubs in that
state so it's hard to believe you can't
find a reputable breeder.

My suggestion to you would be to get active
in one of the basset hound clubs in
Pennsylvania. That will give breeders
the opportunity to get to know you and
vice versa.

I don't know very many people who are serious
about "improving our breed" who aren't active
members of a local club.

Red flags go up when breeders get phone calls
or emails that say "I'm looking for a bitch
to breed." No one I know would say they
had a bitch for sale on the basis of a phone
call or email.

Go to shows, matches and join a club.

[This message has been edited by Barbara Winters (edited 05-24-2000).]
Barbara Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2000, 06:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've talked to a lot of people at local shows who have bassets and seem like great people, but the ones I talked to did not reside within close distance to me. The few breeders I met that lived locally did not impress me. But I have followed your advice and recently obtained a few names from a Basset club in PA. I spoke with a person within 60 miles of my home several times over the phone the last two days. We talked at length about what I'm interested in and she offered advice on the best way to get started. I am going to visit her so we can talk more in person. Hopefuly, I will be able to form a relationship with her and get the much needed guidance.

Like I stated before, I'm not going into this blindly. I plan to do the research and the leg work. I've worked in the animal field for ten years. It just seems to me that this is a very tight group that is hard to get in. I'm always happy to help someone who wants to get involved in training or teching. I've mentored several people over the years and would be happy to do it again. I realize that everyone, no matter where they are at now, had to start at the beginning. Even though I'm at the top of my field in other areas of canine domain, I realize that I have to start at the bottom. I'm just looking for some help.

Thanks for all of the advice. I will listen to it and proceed from here!

------------------
Old 05-24-2000, 09:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

When I began to consider purchasing a show quality basset, I was the *only* person in Las Vegas actively exhibiting a basset in any activity, and that was a backyard bred pet in obedience. There were no reputable breeders in Las Vegas, and there was and is no basset hound club, either. (Although now there is one additional couple exhibiting bassets!)

I knew that I wanted a basset that would be able to participate in several activities, so I turned to a breeder in TX known for breeding versatile bassets. I'd be thrilled if we lived only 60 miles apart. You may actually be having better luck than you realize!
CH Bugle Bay's AllUCanEat Buffet CDX RN TDX NA CGC BHCA-VCX, 1996-2008
"Bugsie" UDX NA NAJ CGC, 1991-2006
Betsy Iole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2000, 10:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

Yes, Betsy. I think I am starting to get lucky. I'm not complaining about it being sixty miles away. It's just in the past when I looked for a good breeder/exhibitor, I didn't find one I liked that was within my state. Probably just didn't meet the right people at the right time. So, yes, I think this is going to work out!!!

------------------
Old 05-25-2000, 07:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

I started by showing males and it worked well for me. They gave me a lot of practice showing ( we did obedience too) and enabled me to make contacts and show that I was serious about the breed and learn more while I was at it. When I was finally ready to become a breeder I had little trouble finding a breeder to sell me a nice girl. But we definitely are wary of selling a breeding dog to someone we don't know and trust. I flat out tell buyers I don't sell dogs for breeding. It's amazing how many then change their story and tell me they really just want the dog for a pet.
2MANYBASSETS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement