Questionable Breeding - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2000, 11:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Questionable Breeding

Huge amount of rambling here - but I really do have a serious question.

I guess I have learned a lot from reading these posts over the past few months. I, too, was sheltered, I guess, because I did not know about the vast overpopulation of bassets.

I am probably not well-liked around here because of that thread a while back, and I have even thought of changing my name on here - but that's not the thing to do.

Anyway - enough rambling. My problem comes from a person who bought a puppy from our first litter. We did not know enough then to discuss the issue of breeding with the buyers. She now wants to breed her female pup (not even 1 year old yet) to a 4 year old basset in her neighborhood. Her puppy has had some problems in the past (she swallowed a whole pecan (in the shell) and had to have surgery to have it removed. She has also been loose and gone for days on three occasions.

She now wants my advice on breeding this dog. My advice is DON'T, but what are some things I can tell her to talk her out of it. She doesn't seem to take the best care of her own dog, and I don't think she would be anything but a disaster with puppies.
Help me find some words here. This person is not a close friend, but I still feel like a hypocrite in telling her not to breed. I mean, I would breed again if I could find another female with Katie's characterisitcs, but not any time soon. I hate to just slam her for wanting this, because I know how it feels to be slapped in the face when you're only trying to be nice.

How about some really awful sounding stats on dog overpopulation? Someone help me to be tactful here before another litter of puppies graces this household. Thanks.
Bassett Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2000, 01:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Questionable Breeding

Have you asked her what makes her think she has the experience to breed? Have her talk to a rescue contact about overpopulation...not just with bassets..but all breeds..cats too! I just picked up a female basset out of a shelter last weekend....she looks more like a beagle, weighs about 25lbs and had been abused...so she cowered everytime I tried to reassure her.

I would be happy to speak with her! Just email me privately if you want me to. I am sure that the other members will have more information for you...as will the breeders.

A question that I have for you though is when you had the litter did you not do a limited AKC registration that stated that she could not be used for breeding?

I would also explain to this person that her pup is not to the breed standard---you also mention that she does not take proper care of her...would you consider taking her back?

Sorry for the rambling myself, this is just a very sore topic for me as I get to see the results of poor breeding on a regular basis & I see what happens to dogs that aren't taken care of & thrown away like they are sweaters!!!

Keep us posted on the out come.

Carol
Old 04-13-2000, 01:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

being not-a-breeder, I can't help much.

I just wanted to say, Basset Momma, although that one thread became really quite awful, we are (hopefully) sort of adults here. you were a naif (as am I :-)), but the point is you have learned things.

In addition, it was obvious to me you felt terrible about the uproar. the important thing is you are learning and you are willing to learn.

besides, I (for one) enjoy your posts, not to mention your logon name!
biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2000, 04:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
RKL

Overpopulation stats:

Over 7 MILLION pets killed in animal shelters yearly in the USA alone.

Average adoption rate in animals shelters of less than 20% (That means 8 out of 10 are destroyed.)

About half of the shelter dogs in metropolitan areas are purebreds. Their adoption rates are no better than the mixes.

Tell her you have learned the errors of your ways will put much more thought into breeding in the future. That you choose to be part of the solution rather than the problem.
RKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2000, 05:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies ya'll. I have approached her a few times about taking the dog back, buying her in fact. The buyer insisted that the "break-outs" were a result of her children leaving the gate open to the pen. Great excuse, huh?

She insists that her family wants the dog and could not part with her for any amount. As a matter of fact, she reminds me a lot of me (a little less responsible with her dog, though) before I started coming to this forum. Puppies are cute, and I think she sees this as a money-making venture. I spoke to her again this afternoon and gave her some info both from my vet and from past posts about breeding so young.

Anne - Thanks for the offer. I have given her the URL for this page, and I hope she will visit and read some of the stories. I look at my brood now and realize that their purpose in life is to be loved by us and not to pop out puppies constantly.

Unfortunately, I did not have contracts or register these dogs as limited with the AKC. You all have taught me so much that I will most likely never breed another dog. Too much to lose sleep over at night. We can just keep our fingers crossed.

The only bright spot I see here is that it doesn't look like this pup's heat schedule will correspond to her being bred this time. We can only hope.

Thanks again for the candid responses.

Lots of love from Bassett Momma and the currently howling backyard trio! (It's supper time!)
Bassett Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2000, 12:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

We agree with the previous posts but perhaps we can suggest a slightly different argument to help you with the lady that wants to breed her immature female. For anyone who has gone thru a pregnancy and whelping with a bitch (as we have done for many years with the help and advice of long time breeders at our club and continuously reading all the breeding and genetic books we can get our hands on), when you see the cost of a whelping on the bitch, anyone who truely loves their dogs would never put an immature dog thru a whelping before she is ready (approx 2 years or at least with the advice of your vet). By the end of 14-30 hours of labor followed by 3-4 weeks of 24-hour a day feeding and cleaning, the health of a bitch who is not mature and ready will certainly suffer. Imagine your healthy girl being weak, imaciated, tired and very thin and totally drained. Now imagine a girl who is imature and not ready. Would you be as willing for a 11 year old human girl to get pregnant as soon as she starts to menstruate?
Crown Valley Hounds
CrownValleyHounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2000, 04:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Good comparision Crown Valley Hounds.....I would think that most adult parents would NOT want their 11 year old daughters having babies!!!!

I must tell you...while I am posting to you directly....I have really been enjoying the phote updates of your little sweeties....pup 7 sleeps just like Bea did as a pup and still does....all curled up in a ball...

Carol
Old 04-22-2000, 01:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Sadie Lady

Crown Valley Has it right. If she loves her dog,she should realize the harm she can cause her by breeding her so young.No matter what her reason for doing so it's just not fair to the bitch.
Has she found a stud? Try talking to the owner,they should be concerned about this too.

------------------
Paul
Advertisement