Blue eyes - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2000, 08:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Blue eyes

We met a year old red and white basset at the dog park over the weekend. He had been rescued from the Utah Humane Society so his new owner doesn't know anything about hime except that he was turned in to the society because his former owners tried to keep him as an outdoor dog (this in the middle of the Rocky Mountains) by himself and the neighbors complained of the noise.

At any rate... he has one blue and one brown eye. Is this common in bassets? Does it have to do with his coloring? I assumed the eye color would be a fault, but wasn't certain. Since he is a Humane Society rescue their neutering requirement makes these questions no more than academic.
Lola Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2000, 08:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Blue eyes

okay, I know NOTHING about animal genetics, particularly basset genetics.

in humans, however, eye color is hereditary. brown eyes are dominant over blue, etc. should light eyes (ie blue) show up, it means someone in the family tree has blue eyes.

take, for example my immediate family. we all have dark brown eyes. But, I have one grandmother and one aunt with green eyes, altho both my parents have dark brown eyes.

I have one sister and one brother (both with dark brown eyes) who married light eyed people. and all their children came out dark eyed.

now, say my nieces and nephews marry people who also have dark brown eyes BUT who also have blood-relations (mother-grandmother-whatever) with blue-green-hazel-whatever eyes. It is very likely they will have light-eyed kids. And, I THINK they can have light eyed kids, even if the person they marry doesn't have light-eyes in the family tree.

Does that make sense? I forgot the exact ratio for how it works, but it has to do with Mendel and peas and all kinds of strange things. Eye color, from what I understand, is pretty complicated, tho, and I'm not sure they've figured out exactly how it's passed on. or at least that's what I was told about 5-6 years ago (last time I had to take a class on things like this)

In short ... my guess is the pup has some ancestors who were not bassets.

[This message has been edited by biscuit (edited 04-04-2000).]
biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2000, 07:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
RKL

Or he has blues in his pedigree, which are usually wall-eyed or blue.
But yeah, I go along with the odds of something besides bassets in that genetic woodpile.
RKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2000, 09:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

Was one side of this basset's face white (the side with the blue eye)?

In horses, a paint or pinto (chestnut, brown, or black and white spotted) will often have one dark eye and one blue, the blue being called a walleye. The wall eye normally occurs where the side of the horse's face surrounding the eye is white. They can have two walleyes if both sides of their face are white. But a solid grey (or white) horse normally has dark eyes, unless it's an albino. In a paint, the walleye is not a conformation fault, but in other breeds it can be.

I don't know if bassets are supposed to carry the gene that produces a walleye if their face is white. I think they are always supposed to have dark eyes...

Maybe someone else will know for sure.

Odin's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2000, 11:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

okay, now I always thought "wall-eyed" meant one eye was a wanderer or crossed. is that what you all mean by wall-eyed? and is it directly linked to blue eyes in dogs? or is something else going on here?
Old 04-05-2000, 06:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

To Odin's Mom:

I can't really remember. He may not have had any color on his face at all. He had some on both ears and a few medium sized spots on his rump and tail, but I've never seen a basset with less color overall. There may be something else in his ancestry, but his form was VERY basset, wrinkles, ears, occipital point, height and all (I did not measure, however). Close to albino though--from across the park he looked like a ghost basset.
Old 04-05-2000, 06:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

hmm, pretty interesting ...

it's impt. to remember that "looks" only tell part of the story, for pups and humans alike. traits skip generations, etc etc etc, on and on, and sometimes require a mating between two individuals carrying the same trait to appear.

for sure, certain things, like ear size, lack of other features, can tell you if a basset is mixed. I bet, however, that it works like it does for humans.

I know, for example, of an instance of a "white" person coming down with sickle cell anemia. This person had no knowledge of anyone of African American heritage in his ancestry on either his mother's or father's side.

Yet, sickle cell originated in Africa (altho there are some people of South Pacific descent who carry something identical or quite similar to it) and, in America, occurs only in people of African American descent. In short, it was a part of his genetic heritage, altho nobody had any memory of it, and it was no recorded, etc. etc.

the notion that the pup was albino is even more interesting, tho. wow!

I've seen other dogs with one brown-one blue eye. I want to say Australian Shepherds, but I think I'm remembering wrong. I'm pretty sure tho that it is a common trait in a few breeds, but I just can't remember which.
Old 04-05-2000, 06:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Huskies often have one brown and one blue eye as do border collies. But you're right. Recessive characteristics can crop up and be the only clue to a border collie great great grandfather. (Oggie Collie has just pointed out that no border collie would stoop so low as to become involved with a basset) (And Lola says QUIT IT with the low jokes)
Old 04-05-2000, 07:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

!!!!!

so perhaps ... a basset/huskie mix??

wow!! sled dog supreme!
Old 04-05-2000, 08:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Bred to ride on rather than pull the sleds--this is a dog race I could get into.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement