Looking for a 7-8 week old female puppy near Tennessee - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 11:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking for a 7-8 week old female puppy near Tennessee

My family and I are wanting to get our 7 mth old basset a little friend so she isn't always alone. What do you guys think would be the best bet? Should we wait a little longer or go ahead and get a puppy! Looking for a 7-8 week old female puppy near Tennessee-imageuploadedbypg-free1357270986.987196.jpg this is out little puppy that turned 7 mths old today

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Dooley Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 12:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

7 months is still puppy-ish. Can you handle two puppies at once? I personally think puppies are adorable but they are definitely not for me. (I say that, but I currently have a rescued puppy in the house.) I prefer adults...don't like dealing with the chewing and potty training. If you have the time and patience to handle two puppies at once, go for it. But I believe you need to wait until the new puppy is older. 7-8 weeks is really young. Some of the very knowledgeable breeders on this board can tell you if I'm wrong, but puppies need to be with their littermates for a bit longer, preferably up to 12 weeks, to socially and physically develop optimally.
Former Foster Mom to [/SIZE][SIZE=1] Domino (A 3/13), Dustin Hoffman (A 11/13), Murphy (A 12/13) Jamiedoxie/basset (A 6/12),Taz & Tommy (trans. to med care 4/12) Ashley (A 3/12)Gwendolyn (A 2/12)and Dudley (A 8/11)
SarahRainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
puppies need to be with their littermates for a bit longer, preferably up to 12 weeks, to socially and physically develop optimally.
that is not true, most breeder prefer to keep them longer because that means they are more incontrol of the socialization but as long as it is done it does not matter if the dog is 7 weeks or 12 weeks when it is speperated from the rest of the litter actual speerating earlier is desirable if a stron bond with humans is desires suh as service dog for the lind etc they remove as early as six week.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

Sorry, but I'd only allow one of my puppies to go home before 10 weeks (and then not until they were 8 weeks) if I knew the people the puppy was going to and they were experienced Basset owners. I know some people say it doesn't matter, but Bassets are sensitive animals, and actually do far better if they are retained by their breeder for the extra time after they are weaned and eating solids, and with mum away. I much preferred to be sure all of them were doing well with their diet, and each individual puppy was going to be able to cope with being just than, an individual, and no longer one of a pack, which basically the Basset is.

But back to the question - I'd wait. We had our second Basset when the first was almost a year old and starting to not be 'a puppy' Having two can be more than twice the work!! And further, if there's a decent age gap between two, there's less likely to be a confrontation in terms of who will be top dog, much as if you have a female, she's probably going to rule over a male in any case.

Don't get another Basset just because the one you have is always 'alone'. There's no substitute for the owner (even if two is marginally better than one for this), and you could end up with two Bassets who miss their owner
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

Well if you are still thinking of another dog I do know of a very good breeder that has a couple of males that are I think about 6 or 7 months old now.

That might be better than getting a real young one. They have been socialized fairly well I'm sure. If you are interested pm me and I will let you know. She will be very picky about whom gets them.
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Personally,I have placed puppies at all ages ,never before 8 weeks of age,for me its a matter of what they need and when. There comes a time ,usually around 10-12 weeks when they need more individual attention then I can give many puppies at one time.Usually by 12 weeks I may only need to deal with one or two puppies and it is easier to still give quality time to each one,still,getting back to the topic I usually recommend waiting till the dog one already has is about a year old so that you aren't house training two and if the other dog is good about that he will help train the puppy. Housetraining bassets can either be a much longer time(1 year to 2) or if you are diligent a shorter time(6 or 8 months) I would not bring in another till the other is fully trained.
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

I would say it depends on how much time you have. Since my wife and I are retired we have 5 dogs, 3 being Bassets. Sometimes when we get a new foster it takes some time for them to get use to the household but I guess we are just use to having so many as going from 3 to 5 was nothing.
Carly Ann - Toy Poodle
Copper -(Speed-bump) Basset
dreamons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you guys very much! I think we've decide to wait until Dooley is about 1. She's such a great puppy we want one just like her! But when and if we get another it will be a female also!

Dooley Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

We got a 6 month old (roscoe) when Pu

Gus218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #10 (permalink)

Ooops. When Gus was 8 months. It is definitely twice the work. But we'll worth it. They are great together.

Gus218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement