Why So Many Bagles? - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Why So Many Bagles?

So I don't know if this is the right subforum for this, but I'm just curious. I browse petfinder regularly and keep an eye on the basset and basset mixes in the area. Why are there so many beagle/basset mixes, called bagles from what I've seen? Are there people that purposely breed this mix? I'm honestly asking out of morbid curiosity because I see so many of them.
Swimming-duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Kirska

I think sometimes if a dog is either a beagle mix or a basset mix but they don't know which, they just put beagle/basset mix. There are a lot of beagles and beagle mixes out there which could be mistaken for basset mixes, and vice versa.
Kirska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Some may look like a mix and in reality be a pure bred basset.Some not so good breeders can get away with it because as puppies there doesn't seem to be anything unusual about the puppy.Growing up the legs may be a little longer ,the ears shorter,now not looking like what a basset should look like. Possibly, some are mixed to try to provide a "better" hunting dog.
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
some are mixed to try to provide a "better" hunting dog.
I doublt that severly given what i have seen of the hunting community you have two very distinct camps with beagle being the far majority and they are not interested on bit in basset or basset trait or what basset might have to offer as an advantage over a beagle. there are 4-5 different styles of hunt for beagles so there is not a lack of varitiey in hunting style in the beagle that merits being cross bred with a basset.

I thing a large number of so called bagles are poorly bred specimin of either breed. that no one is coning to commit to calling them pure bred.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Well that all makes sense to me. I didn't know if people were out there trying to create a new breed, but it makes more sense that the dogs I'm seeing are probably one or the other - just not great specimens as far as standards go. Thanks for satisfying my curiosity!
Swimming-duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Probably a mutt...a mix of a long dog (could be basset, but could also be corgi or doxie) with another dog with short ears (could be beagle, but could be any number of other dogs). If they look like they are some sort of hunting dog, they'll label them a Bagle because its a good all-around guess. Short ears? Long body? Medium sized? Yea, let's just call it a Bagle. Of course, there are legitimate Bagels as well.
Former Foster Mom to [/SIZE][SIZE=1] Domino (A 3/13), Dustin Hoffman (A 11/13), Murphy (A 12/13) Jamiedoxie/basset (A 6/12),Taz & Tommy (trans. to med care 4/12) Ashley (A 3/12)Gwendolyn (A 2/12)and Dudley (A 8/11)
SarahRainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

Bella's a bagle, but looks more Basset, the reasoning behind the cross was to have a scent hound with the basset nose and more energy at the end of a hunt, supposedly. Basically I think they're just a fancy world for a cross breed, like Shoodle and Jackahuahua. Having a fancy name give breeders license to charge what they want over here in the UK, sometimes more than a pedigree, it's nuts.

She's a little shorter than a full basset, and can have a beagle face in one light and then look totally basset in another. She has beagle coloring really and her eyes are definately more beagle, they're not droopy, which is a shame because that's what I love about bassets the best.

I personally think it's a fab cross, but then I'm a bit biased, we are on the look out for another scent hound, either cross or full breed, I'm totally smitten with them.

I have some photo's in my album of when she was smaller, but nothing recent due to technical problems, erm Bella ate my USB lead for my phone. It is in hand then I'll be spamming the forum with Bagel piccies.
nuttypigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

How much does bella weigh full grown?
macy1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

She's currently about 15 and a half kilos, not sure of the conversion to llbs, there was a bagel bitch advertised for rehome a few weeks back that's the same age as Bella (17 months) but she was weighing in at 22 kilos, so she must of been a bigger build to Bella. I was too late in enquiring the rehome had already gone to a new home.
nuttypigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement