Flanged Ribs? - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Flanged Ribs?

What exactly are flanged ribs? I've read they are a fault in show-quality bassets. Yet when I Google image search "flanged ribs" I can never see a difference.
SarahRainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2011, 10:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hiya,

I've got flanged ribs, so yeah, no dog shows for me... do you have flanged ribs too?

Best way for me to describe is it's the bottom of the rib cage jutting out, instead of tapering in (like a person's rib cage should taper in as you go from top to bottom).

Someone stopped us once & said her dog had the same thing as a puppy & then the puppy outgrew it. Looked at the dog & yeah, couldn't tell. but we were skeptical about me, since it seemed so obvious that the bottom rib(s) were sticking out. but it's true-- dunno if i'll completely outgrow it, but it does seem less noticeable.

Here's the best pic we could find. Looking at the outline at the top, look ing below my arm, there shouldn't be that peak there that goes up. That's the abnormally large rib bone.

Also included another pic too.

hope that helps?
--Worm

ps. yeah, that's me smirking after i pushed all the peeple away from the bed : )
Attached Thumbnails
Flanged Ribs?-img_3988.jpg   Flanged Ribs?-img_5048.jpg  
Old 11-14-2011, 01:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hmmm...some days are worse than others. And I only see the ribs jut out at certain angles.

I think Gwendolyn, our little foster girl, doesn't have flanged ribs. But it kind of looks like she does because her belly skin is super loose from having too many litters.

As for Copper, his ribs aren't as prominent as the photos of you, but you can see the last few ribs stick out a bit.

Doesn't matter, because he's not show quality anyways. He was given up by a family that was going to use him for breeding. Glad they gave him up before he was bred because we found out later (after an allergic onset made him go lame for a week) that he has a bone deformation in his front leg. Backyard breeders make me so angry. Gwen was the victim of irresponsible breeders and Copper almost was. Leave breeding to the professionals who take care exceptional care of their animals and understand genetics. End of short rant.
Former Foster Mom to [/SIZE][SIZE=1] Domino (A 3/13), Dustin Hoffman (A 11/13), Murphy (A 12/13) Jamiedoxie/basset (A 6/12),Taz & Tommy (trans. to med care 4/12) Ashley (A 3/12)Gwendolyn (A 2/12)and Dudley (A 8/11)
SarahRainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahRainey View Post
Backyard breeders make me so angry. Gwen was the victim of irresponsible breeders and Copper almost was. Leave breeding to the professionals who take care exceptional care of their animals and understand genetics. End of short rant.
aye, aye, me totally agrees, Copper & Gwendolyn. that's exactly what methinks too & couldn't have said it better.

i'm knuckled over & I have flanged ribs, and also am some product of a backyard breeder type. no mention of the flanged ribs by the breeder, so that was a surprise when my person got me. she didn't notice it at first (since there were lots of distractions). then couple hours later at home, noticed that i have deformed ribs. ah well, at least there's no medical downside to it. but it did look kinda scarry at first, esp when i was super skinny.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Bernie's Mom Send a message via Yahoo to Bernie's Mom

Bernie has that too. I didn't know that's what it was called. I didn't notice it at first either until after we got home. I just though he had a deformed rib. It only does it on one side.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default same!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahRainey View Post
What exactly are flanged ribs? I've read they are a fault in show-quality bassets. Yet when I Google image search "flanged ribs" I can never see a difference.
Same here!
arrianavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

They are not a disqualifying fault. Which means the dog can be shown but you'll waste a lot of money. The rib cage flares out abnormally.When you run your hands along the sides of correct ribbing it should be very smooth to the touch and smooth to look at. Flanged ribs will be bumpy and you will see them sticking out, especially if the dog lies on his side the ribs will protrude abnormally.
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

it's kind of hard to capture a picture. this is the closest we got.
fyi, Worm doesn't look this bad anymore. this was after he got sick Thanksgiving & lost weight. now he's gained most of it back.

the ribcage is abnormal. should taper in, but it splays out in the midsection.
Attached Thumbnails
Flanged Ribs?-img_5409.jpg   Flanged Ribs?-img_5412.jpg  

Last edited by Wworm; 01-08-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Wworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

Oh wormy has got the skid mark/landing strip down his back too! Cool!
Pricey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

With weight Wworm doesn't look bad it is hard to tell in the photos for me anyway.
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement