Basset Hounds Forum banner

Soft fur

11K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Orion 
#1 ·
Everyone comments on Coopers wonderfully soft fur so we were wondering, will this change? We've had other dogs that outgrew their soft puppy fur but are Bassets different?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#2 ·
Everyone comments on Coopers wonderfully soft fur so we were wondering, will this change? We've had other dogs that outgrew their soft puppy fur but are Bassets different?
Actually the Basset coat shouldn't be what I'd call 'soft' However, if he's still a puppy, it could yet change.

For reference, the UK Breed Standard states "Coat. Smooth, short and close without being too fine. Whole outline clean and free from feathering. Long hair, soft coat or feathering highly undesirable. Skin is supple and elastic without any exaggeration."

The American Standard says "The coat is hard, smooth, and short with sufficient density to be of use in all weather. The skin is loose and elastic. A distinctly long coat is a disqualification". Source The BH Illustrated Standard.

From experience I've found that those Basset who favour the French in them tend to have a thinner coat than those who don't, where they have a thicker (double?) coat which will withstand foul weather rather better. I've had UK bred hounds who have during the Winter especially, actually gone to a more wavy coat on their backs - we used to say that was all down to what Queen Alexander did with her Bassets/Clumbers in her kennels!!

#3 ·
How old is he?

Our youngest was cryptorchid :mad: & looking back would have been wise to leave until older but he had a GA - about his 4th - for X rays (regarding other ongoing problems). When informed from theatre, surgery wasn't necessary I asked since he was prepped & under could they neuter him. He was about 9 months, far to early but thought at the time it would save him another GA. He is now 8, has always remained very much a (only I can say this 'a silly little') puppy, his coat is soft, thick & fluffy, & have always been advised that it's due to neutering far too early.

#8 ·
Jake's coat is a bit courser than my girls.

Abby always had a very soft coat. She was only 2 1/2 when she left us, but she was of a more european breading. Jake is more "american" (not as wrinkly and shorter ears).

Ellie is still very soft, However she is only 6 mos, she is more european (longer ears and more wrinkles)

#10 ·
I don't think baths are really a factor. Usually, both of mine get bathed at the same time (equal opportunity torture!) Jake was velvety as a pup but his fur got courser as he aged. Abby, never seemed to get courser (However, I don't remember what age Jake's fur seemed to change) Like I said, Ellie is still a baby at 6 mo and is still "velvety" Not as soft as their ears.... but what is!

#14 ·
emmas coat isnt soft to me and definitely not puppy soft but id say her coat is very smooth. which to most folks who have dogs with coarser hair feels soft. i know i usually think the same thing when im petting a greyhound at the dog park because of their fine smooth coat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.