Basset Hounds Forum banner

Castration, why?

20K views 64 replies 24 participants last post by  Herzo 
#1 ·
Encouraged by our bassets breeder & vet to castrate our dog it is something I've bitterly :mad: regretted ever since, & would never do again unless for medical reasons.

Curious as to the reasons & research - if any - that have led owners to neuter their male dogs?

#2 ·
I had Jake snipped for two reasons. One, I was told it lessens aggression; and two, I didn't want my girls pregnant.

I know my limitations. If I had a litter of pups it would take serious national security clearance to adopt one of them.... I would even put my mother thru it!!! Otherwise, I would just keep adding to the family

#3 ·
Our male Basset Harry started 'humping' everything when he reached about 9 months. He also 'marked' my doorstop in the living room. This was totally out of character as he toilet trained very quickly and is an amazingly clean dog (he's now 2years). So we decided on neutering him as this was recommended by our vet and other dog owners we know as a cure. It stopped the humping totally & immediately which was great (as we have young kids in the family) and he has never marked in the house since that day. So for us it worked. Saying that I was a little shocked when he came back from the vets as it looked very sore and I felt guilty for a while after! I think some people say it helps with stopping aggression too but seeing as our Basset Harry is about as aggressive as a pair of mittens this wasn't a problem.

#6 ·
This is something I was going to post actually. I really don't kno what to do with joey to be honest.
He's not even 5 months yet but he just loves to hump!!! Mostly me though, maybe that's because he is around me all the time!!! It's always my poor legs lol
We bought him a huge teddy bear for Xmas as we thought it would be good for him to rip up... Nope...the poor teddy is getting humped to death. We call the teddy mr hump.

I heard also that neutering stops aggressive behaviour especially towards other male dogs. At the moment he is so friendly towards other dogs and humans. On the other hand he likes to nip and chew on people's hands, shoes, clothes etc. he is teething so hopefully this will stop after he has all his big man teeth!

We don't want to use joey as a stud but I wanted to wait until he has fully matured before we decide weather to get him done or not.
Could anyone tell me when is it they fully mature???? Thank you xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#7 ·
It does not prevent him having an erection, doesn't stop him being interested in a bitch in heat, doesn't stop him tying with a bitch, & many will say it doesn't prevent marking, or humping. One of ours marked around the house twice, once when he first came to us entire, & again when we moved & he was neutered. Our cryptorchid boy humps his cousin when he thinks we're not around, distraction & discouragement are the best alternative, adolescence dogs have many many time more times the hormones than they will have as an adult.
If you are undecided then would really do your research beforehand, wouldn't think of doing it before two years, let your dog mature naturally, get to know his personality, it may not happen to you but it can ruin a dog. Am of the belief that the only person that benefits is the vet & their bank balance.

#8 ·
I've been thinking about this a lot too since Harvey is getting older. Somehow I feel I want to avoid it as long as we can and hopefully not do it (and Harvey's daddy agrees - male comradery I guess). Still I don't really know whats the best option.

The humping is now starting to get worse and worse though with him jumping on my legs and our big cushions getting a ride several times a day.. Harvey isn't aggressive and hasn't (knock on wood) started marking yet so that's really the only problem. I guess if we don't have any major problems with him he will stay intact :)

I'm also wondering on the mature age though..? :) x

#9 ·
I don't neuter my males. They don't hump people - I don't allow it. They don't hump the other dogs as a rule - the other dogs don't allow it. The only problem I have, because I have girls that come into season, is that my two boys don't like each other, although they are generally fine with other males off their "territory". For example, when we are at shows or at the park I don't generally worry about their behavior with other boys (although I always monitor interactions with strange dogs, regardless of gender involved).

#10 ·
Hi,

I was unsure about castration too for anything less than a medical problem as it seems as if the world has gone castration bonkers!

I finally had Basil done in July of 2012, around 4 and a half by then. He was done because the prostrate had apparently enlarged, so it was a precautionary measure.

Since then tho, and I don't know if its general ageing, castration related or something else but, he seems to want to walk less. He still loves going out but we rarely complete the same length of walk as previously, barely 20% most days, sleeps more but doesn't hump the few people he tried to do before. Also, some dogs he got on very well with before now seems different as he seems to sometimes get overly aggressive or frustrated, and a bitch that used to play with him now almost ignores him.

So, things do change but not necessarily in the way one may expect!

Nat

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#15 ·
Hi,

I was unsure about castration too for anything less than a medical problem as it seems as if the world has gone castration bonkers!
How I relate to this statement :(

I will say at the outset that I have always spayed my bitches whether on retirement or earlier if not good enough to be in a breeding programme. And without doubt, not having to confine them twice a year (or every 8 months as was normally the case with mine) was a definite plus :cool:

However, I don't as a general rule want, or need to castrate my males, unless for medical reasons. I had to have two of mine done, in old age, because of prostate flare ups and can only say I bitterly regretted it. Whether it happened to coincide with them getting on in years or not I don't know, but both went very 'soft', lacked their previous zip, tended to put on weight, and certainly grew heavier coats. Yes the prostate situation was cured, but ....

It was a pain living with entire males when the bitches were in season, but over all the years we had a small show/breeding kennel, we had no unplanned litters :rolleyes: And kept right, no male should be roaming around siring unwanted puppies in any case.

I do believe also that the gentle Basset isn't really a good candidate for castration. They do go soft - I saw one who had been castrated at a little over 7 months and he stayed a silly puppy all his life. It was really quite sad. And after all, the only certainty with this surgery is no puppies. Everything else, medical reasons apart, is down to training.

#11 ·
My main reason for doing it would be to prevent any chance whatsoever of unwanted "oopsie" pups.

Aside from that, the other reason would be because I was bound by a spay/neuter contract with a breeder. Ninja had to be spayed by 9 months old (if I'm remembering that correctly), and proof of spaying sent to her breeder. If we had decided on a boy instead, we would have had to sign a similar contract for neutering (not sure if the age would have been different though).

#12 ·
A lot of shelters and rescue groups spay/castrate before adopting their animals out, as part of their plan for reducing pet overpopulation. I think they feel better adopting the animals out without having to worry that the new owners will be responsible about preventing unwanted pregnancies.

I can understand why they would want to do that, since they see such large numbers of unwanted or homeless pets.

But after being on this forum for a while, I can see why it would make sense to at least wait until the animal is fully mature, and possibly not to do it at all if you are able to monitor things closely enough to prevent any breeding.

#13 ·
I found out Noba had hip dysplasia at 8 months old. I got him neutered at 14 months old when my husband and I met since he had a female unspayed. Due to Noba's displaysia I didn't want any oops puppies that could get that defect.

#14 ·
I always felt that there was no reason to keep a dog intact unless you wanted to breed. But I have to say the more I read and hear others talk about it I am changing my mind.

All my dogs are fixed and thank goodness for that, but none of them where done real early and I defiantly think it is being done way to early.

I understand why shelters do it but I think doing it before the dog or cat has grown is wrong. I still don't think most people are responsible enough to have an intact dog or cat.

I didn't spay my first basset till she was about 4 years old and I had problems with her getting depressed and going into false pregnantsie (sp). And she died of mammory cancer.

So mixed feelings hear.

#16 ·
Couldn't agree more FM and Bug!
Our next will be a boy, with plans on showing so castrating isn't an option but with any boy I would not have hime done unless there are medical reasons. Behaviours that are blamed on testicles can be trained. However, girls I spay after one or two seasons. Heats are easy - you just have to be more creative where you take them for walks to avoid the boys but it's the phantom pregnancies that were the real pain in the arse for all of us!

#17 ·
I still don't think most people are responsible enough to have an intact dog or cat.
My question would be, if they are not responsible enough to maintain an intact animal, are they responsible enough that they should have a dog at all? Seriously, what's involved in keeping dogs from breeding is basically good stewardship. It's not that hard. Really.

#22 ·
Posted this thread as taken aback by the number of dogs who are subjected to castration, many before they are even mature with owners having little thought to the repercussions & just going along with the current trend. Some naively seem to think that within days of surgery their dog is going to have a miraculous character change for the better, to a placid biddable boy who complies & understands everything asked with very little input in the way of training. Vet's too, push & encourage owners, heard of some that as soon as puppy vacs are finished ask 'when are you thinking of neutering' a friend was even asked to book the pup in for surgery!

Our youngest boy was cryptochid so had no choice & as FM mentioned, he has stayed (won't call him silly but know what she means) a puppy even though he's heading for 8, occasionally call him Dorian, joking that somewhere in the house he's hidden his hideous portrait. The elder was the biggest mistake, pushed by breeder & vet we stupidly gave in shortly after he charged the length of our local beach to get to a bitch in heat who was being exercised off lead. Got to him in time but the poor boy would not move & looking back I'm surprised he wasn't injured in my attempts to get him home. He had always been a placid gentle boy, who had friends rather than playing with any one that past, but within months of the op was humped by everyone & often picked on by dogs just charging in. Realise this doesn't happen to all but I do know of others effected & however small the chance would never castrate again & the more I listen to others experience & advice don't believe it has any health or behavioural benefits. I've always pefered dogs, it's their presence & character, yet we seem only to ready to take away some of the major hormones that gives them this.

Keeping a dog entire does not mean that I wish, want or would even think of breeding - that should be done by people who really know what their doing for the health of the breed - yes there are the occasional mistake but my dogs aren't latch Key dogs roaming the streets.

My question would be, if they are not responsible enough to maintain an intact animal, are they responsible enough that they should have a dog at all? Seriously, what's involved in keeping dogs from breeding is basically good stewardship. It's not that hard. Really.
Soundtrack, :D well put.

#18 · (Edited)
It's one thing to be responsible yourself, but sometimes situations arise when it's impossible to control the actions of other irresponsible people out there. What's coming to mind, is a story I heard on another forum years ago: Lady left her intact bassets at what her judgement told her was a responsible boarding kennel while she had to go away. End result: a litter of puppies, as strict instructions were not followed. Just a (maybe far-fetched) example of the kind of thing that can happen, since like it or not, many of us have times when we have to leave our dogs in other people's care for one reason or another.

#19 · (Edited)
True, however there are many more things, many of them worse and more probable (getting loose/lost, getting incorrect or not getting necessary medication for example), that can happen to your dog in the hands of less responsible people. The above scenario would be pretty rare, especially considering the small amount of time during her life the bitch is actually able to conceive (avg 2 weeks per year).

#20 ·
True, however there are many more things, many of them worse and more probable (getting loose/lost, getting incorrect or not getting necessary medication), that can happen to your dog in the hands of less responsible people. The above scenario would be pretty rare, especially considering the small amount of time during her life the bitch is actually able to conceive (avg 2 weeks per year).
Agree a bitch in season - especially if she's standing heat - should not be boarded - her owners should not have put her in there. And unfortunately very irresponsible kennel owners as well.

#23 ·
I totally get what you are all saying. Although, even the most trusted and responsible people can and do have various slip-ups, and say for example have one of your dogs escape. I know stuff happens, so I just prefer to make the choice to eliminate any possibility whatsoever by fixing my dogs, that's really all I'm saying.

#42 ·
I totally get what you are all saying. Although, even the most trusted and responsible people can and do have various slip-ups, and say for example have one of your dogs escape. I know stuff happens, so I just prefer to make the choice to eliminate any possibility whatsoever by fixing my dogs, that's really all I'm saying.
and that's VERY responsible of you.
no dog owner can keep a watchful eye on a dog every second.
The shelter here in memphis is FULL of the offspring of dogs whose owners obviously didn't.
Spay/neuter takes that out of the equation.

#24 ·
I have no problem with people fixing their dog if they *choose* to. That is a lifestyle issue and for many it is simply more convenient. I fix my senior girls for just that reason. But they should do it with full knowledge of the known pros and cons, it should not be foisted upon everyone, and those who choose not to should not be treated like horrible, irresponsible dog abusers.

#26 ·
Soundtrack but most of your girls are showing/competing/breeding so it's either mandatory or preferable. Having three girls and going through seasons AND Phantoms I don't feel like a meany spaying when they're between 1.5 -2 yo.

#25 · (Edited)
Scully I so now where you are coming from but no my dogs never escape, never have the opportunity or the desire to do it - not without us.
LOL I think they love their meals and us too much... but saying that have not had a boy yet...

#29 ·
Yes it is a lifestyle choice on my part and maybe for them - I think... but next girl I will wait longer - probably around 6 years old - I think that's more of a natural age to relieve them of it....Hormones are very important and I think we misunderstand them with our dogs!!

#32 ·
Of course, there's also not being subject to harassment by people who think you're a terrible person because your dog has testicles. ;). Yep, it happens.[/QUOTE]

Now that I have come across, know someone who castrated her boy because she didn't like the look of them, poor dog :eek:, LOL luckily she's not married.

#33 ·
We were told the real impact on hormone related behaviour happens if you snip before the pup is 4 months old. As Benson was ill when he was that young, we weren't in a position to do that. Plus the vet we were seeing at the time actually recommended we didn't snip him due to other allergies.

In the last few months he was suffering from repetitive bladder infections and the new vet recommended to snip him to rule out things. I'm not sure it helped in anyway but he doesn't seem to be affected negatively by it.

Our day care continually recommended we get it done, but I think it was selfish on their part. Makes their life easier in case there is any behind the bike shed action.

#35 ·
If you do choose to have your male neutered, what is a good age to do it? I am planning on getting Hoss fixed, but I don't want to do it as soon as the vet wants to. He isn't even six months old yet and his vet is already saying he can have the surgery. I know with larger breeds, you want to wait until about a year to allow for proper muscle growth, but I'm not sure how that applies to Bassets, being that they aren't very muscular breeds. Hoss is pretty muscular for a basset, but I think that has to do with the fact that he is still very young and he plays with my 75lb Cane Corso mix and gets a ton of exercise and tug o war time.

#36 ·
I didn't have a choice with either of my two. Elliot, my Basset, came from the shelter so he was neutered before we could bring him home. Jack, my Dachshund, was found on the side of the freeway, and turned out to be cryptorchid so he needed to be fixed. Both were approximately 4 years old when found/adopted. We had Jack for about 3 months before his surgery--I didn't notice any changes in him but he was an only child and didn't get out much except for walks. When Elliot came home he was a humping machine, but about 4 weeks later that just stopped. I have to think his hormones had worked themselves out by then. There is really no other explanation. I know several will say humping isn't hormone driven, but he stopped after that.

If I had a choice, I really don't know what I would do. Before joining this forum there wouldn't have been a question, but now I've read so many reasons not to neuter that my opinion is changing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.