Basset Hounds Forum banner

chemical burn?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  bubbad 
#1 ·
Hi Basset friends,

Anyone here have any experience with chemical burns from salt/sand on the road? Porter woke up limping yesterday morning after playing in the snow. He refuse to put any weight on his front left paw. We called the vet regarding this issue and was told to just sit and watch for a few days to see if this will go away on its own. One thought is that he might have played too hard in the park and the other is all the salt on the road burned his paw somehow. Its just so sad to see my guy limping around the house being extra sad.

Porter will be 6 soon and have being healthy so far. The only issue is he seem to get a blister in one area of his paw a lot. This is why the vet suspect the limp is caused by the salt on the road. The vet doesn't want to give him anything in case the pain is caused by something else and the pain killer will mask pain and more damage might be done.

We'll need to take him in for an x-ray if the limp doesn't go away by the weekend. but i am just worried.

any thoughts? and i checked for any rocks or sand stuck between the toes. and have washed his paw in clean warm water. and put a bit of neosporin for possible infection.

See less See more
#2 ·
And I forgot to mention that the cause seem to be the big center pad on his paw is a little swollen with no sign of a cut or infection or imbedded foreign object. The pain is not in any of the joints. Very strange. I just wish I know what caused it. My poor little guy...

#4 ·
Not to scare you but in this day and age with the C word being a problem in younger and younger bassets I would be sure they cover everything they can think of including a possible biopsey hopefully antibiotics will do the trick.I'm only bringing this up because when my Bubba passed at 3 from lymphosarcoma I never considered diarreah being a symptom. If I had we might have caught it earlier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.