Basset Hounds Forum banner

11 week old male gets ANGRY when moved.

12K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  mydawgz 
#1 ·
Frankie joined our family when he was 8 wks old. 90 % of the time he is perfect (for a puppy, :)) but he has been showing alarming signs of aggression when he does not want to be moved. Sometimes when we want to pick him up from his bed to go pee, take him inside after play, take him of the couch or out of his crate - he growls and if we continue to remove him, he bites. Today it was pretty bad as he bit down to my finger bone. It is not a problem with his territory as alot of the time my 2 young children are laying in his bed with him and he is happy with company. Same with feeding time...we can put our hands nears his bowl when he eats and he is fine. Just seems to be isolated to moving him when he is content. We briefly tried putting him on his back but this just feeds his aggression and escalates the situation. Our reputable breeder suggested grabbing his snout and squeezing tightly but this he continues to gnarl and bite when certain situations presents itself. We have been gentler in our approach when it is time for him to move but do not want (or cant with 2 small children) to tiptoe around him forever. I would love some advice....feeling like I am the only one with a biting basset.:confused:

#27 ·
One thing I do with my puppies is I always make eye contact with them in adult dogs this can be seen as a threat ,in puppies, I believe they never learn to think of it as a threat since I usually have a treat of some sort for them,celery,apple,small milk bones. When I walk into their room they are always looking me straight in the eye,when we play we make eye contact,etc.Since he is still young he may accept this if you start with a treat and make him look at you first. Say something like" Here" and point to your face ,look him in the eyes and let him have the treat as long as he looks at you.He will start to respond to the word" Here" everytime you say it.He may even come to you from another room when you say the word because he knows he gets a treat.You can then train him with that word to come to you and just give pets and love about everyother time at first and so on.I'm glad you are not willing to let it go.

#28 ·
Thanks Bubbad - great, great advice! :D I will be sure to start that today.
Frankie and I are starting puppy kindergarten tomorrow with a trainer who will be coming to our home for a one on one next week. I was a bit apprehensive starting a class like this prior to all of his shots being kicked in but I think in our case we need to get some guidance ASAP. I am holding onto that this just can't be a genetic thing as he comes from European champion bloodlines (Moravia Bray/Branscombe). Also gives me hope that I can correct it. ;)

On another note - when I was discussing my issue with Frankie I did go into the long version with her. Frankie starting this behaviour the day after his first shots - the trainer, who also has a PHD in immunology was a bit concerned as she suggested there could be a connection between his aggression and his immunizations. ??? Anyone heard of this?

#30 ·
Frankie's mom, I have no wonderful words of advice to contribute to the topic, but if you ever feel like bringing Frankie out to socialize with other bassets, there is a basset meetup group in the area: The Vancouver Basset Hound Meetup Group (Vancouver, BC) - Meetup

Just thought I'd let you know, although maybe you had already found it.:) We don't manage to get out to them very often, but it's always fun when we do!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.