Basset Hounds Forum banner

Help with his anxiety

6K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Oscar 09/12 
#1 ·
My husband and I got a basset puppy last week when he was 8 weeks old.

We are both on holiday now and I'm returning to work on the 2nd. My husband works from home but sometimes requires to go into the office.

My concern is, we sometimes leave him outside a bit to play and sleep on our patio. He can see us through the glass sliding door at all times. But when he is outside, he whines and moans the whole time.

We had a few family members visiting over the Christmas period and he got so much attention from everybody. Now today I was alone with him the whole day, and normally when he wanted to sleep, he would just go into his bed and sleep. But today, he would whine until I sit down with him, and let him fall asleep on my lap. He never used to do that.

He sleeps in bed with me because I think he is still too young to be sleeping alone. But it seems that whenever we are out of his sight, or have some barrier (like the sliding door) between us and the puppy he won't stop crying. Breaks my heart to hear him like that.

I'm just so worried that when we go back to work, and my husband needs to go into the office, he will be crying and whining the whole time, making his anxiety worse. What else can we try? We bought him so many soft toys to play with, some chew toys, a clock wrapped in my husbands old T-shirt, a warm water bottle wrapped in a light blanket, and a radio next to him. Only other thing I can think off is to get another small dog, but I don't want to sit with 2 puppies howling and crying the whole time.

Any advice?

See less See more
#2 ·
Congratulations on your boy - does he have a name? He is young and just left his fur family and is feeling a bit insecure. He wants to be close to his new family. Potty truing is more about indoors than out. Outdoors is more about doing the business and it's probably not best to lock him out at this point. Keep to a schedule - it varies but usually 10 minutes after meals, after a nap and straight after a good play - and go out with him. When he goes potty lots of praise and straight back inside. :)

#3 ·
At 9 weeks old ,even older he is depending on you for companionship ,his brothers and sisters are gone so you are it.Making a bond with him as when he falls asleep in your lap is a good thing.Putting him outside other than to potty is not. As a puppy there will be a certain amount of whining etc. but it should not be excissive if he has what he needs besides the food, water, your affection. Getting a crate for him to be in when you are gone and for nightime will also help with his anxity. he may cry at first but usually they come to think of it as their den. To me it sounds like you need to spend more time with him,playing,giving affection,disipline when needed,and just letting him be with you.Practice going away,don't make a big deal of it,and coming back, again, don't make a big of this either he will learn you always come back.

#4 ·
Yes we decided to call him Einstein as he proved to very clever :D

So should we maybe close off one part of the house (maybe the kitchen and scullery) and leave him inside then when we go out or back to work? Don't want him chewing on furniture as he's been chewing at everything.

We feed him 3 times a day (as told by the vet at the same time) and then we sit outside with him till his done, and then take a walk around the yard so that he can do his business. Same with when I get up at night with him.

#5 · (Edited)
Einstein - great name! We have brought our young pups up in an X pen. They can be made as small or as large - you can even have different little rooms for snacks and water along with their sleeping room. And they don't want to pee in either! So perfect for housetraining and keeping them safe. It's easy to move around - if you want them in the bedroom with you at night- perfect to hear them for those middle of the night potties - or in a good place during the day.
And when you graduate from a small place to bigger - great for blocking off rooms.
As far as housebreaking - what worked best with our young puppies (Margot came at 8 months) the first couple of weeks outside is toilet only. They do the business - good boy, praise, sometimes a treat and back inside. Honestly it so helps those first 2-3 weeks it's business only and after that it's playtime, sniffing etc.... :) After their business

#6 ·
I agree with others, especially Bubbad.... Einstein is a baby who will miss his mummy and his siblings and I don't know how you can bear to shut him outside at all as he needs your company to bond well and should be 'taken' outside for toilet training and brought back inside after being rewarded for being good.

When I got my Basset twins at nine weeks, mine were being fed four times a day as their tummies are small at that age and they need good food regularly to help them grown big and strong. As mine grew bigger, I gradually reduced feeding to three times a day until much bigger (probably around a year or so) when they were and still are fed twice a day with a few biscuits for supper so they don't go to bed on an empty tummy.

Please don't shut a puppy outside on its own... how would you like it after being separated from your family, to be suddenly taken to a strange house and shut outside alone? :( :(

#7 ·
Don't be upset by a few of us saying about not leaving him out on his own it is just that at the age he is at he needs and wants to be with you .I too use an exercise pen on a tile floor but it is only good till they weigh enough to tip it over when they reach about 4 -5 months of age. Be careful blocking him in be sure there is nothing he can chew like cupboards or wires ,he is cutting his teeth and the next ones do not come in till he is about 4 months old.

#8 ·
Thanks everyone. Will go see if I can't get a puppy playpen today and leave some treats in it for him. And teach him being alone is not a bad thing.

I just don't want him to get separation anxiety because even if he is in the house and I quickly go upstairs for about 10min, I can hear him crying downstairs.

Someone also told me that when I come back after a short while, I shouldn't make a big fuss over seeing him again?

Thanks again! :) Will let you know what happens.

#9 ·
I would get him a crate that he’ll be able to grow into it that you can separate to a smaller size for now. If you give him too big a crate now – you’ll have a better chance of him going potty in the crate.

When I leave mine – I always get eye contact and till them – “I’ll be back” – that’s it and leave. When I get back – I don’t make a fuss – I just open the crate and tell them lets go potty outside. When they come back in – that’s when I give them the extra attention – hugs, kisses and belly rubs.

Oh, mine are over a year and a half and still need to be crated because of the damage they can do if left alone. It’s for their own protection as they could kill themselves with the chewing they still do.

When I first got Mabel at 3 months and left her in the crate – I started with around 10 minutes or so – and slowly move up in time. The first few times she would howl her head off – she quickly learned that time went a lot faster if she just took a nap. Page her sister and litter mate was over a year when I brought her home – she also would howl the first times – now more times than not – she also just goes to sleep.

I know it can be hard to hear them cry – but in this case – you’re helping them more by letting them be and learning that you’ll be back.

Jen~

#10 ·
I'm almost scared to come here with my answers to all this, but what the heck - it's all about the Basset after all.

Fact is the Basset does not do well living a solitary life, so I hope you realise that if you plan on leaving him alone for more than 2 hours right now, he's going to kick off big time. When we had our first hound, it wasn't until I could stop working, which I did, for 6 months to get him sorted out and through the baby puppy stage. I went back, part time - 3 hours mid-day. He went back to NOT being housetrained, to tell me what he thought about the new arrangements. I ended up taking him with me, and leaving him in the car which was fine because this being over the lunch hour, with a shady car-park too, all the staff went up to sit with him, or take him for a stroll during the 3 hours. Perfect.

Please don't shut him outside. He needs to be with you.

I also think, with the proviso that no puppy should be in a crate during the daytime for longer than 2 hours, a crate is going to be better than an ex-pen. And get a big crate - one he can still use when he's adult if needed. I don't subscribe to a small area because until he can physically hold, and leans that he doesn't need to 'go' in his crate because you will be letting him out regularly, he will just empty in there and in a small space, be forced to lie in it. At least if he has the odd accident in a big crate, he can get away from it. He'll soon be big and heavy and well able to move an ex-pen all over the place. And you would have to dog-proof your house - he's NOT teething at 8/9 weeks. His baby teeth would be there by around 3 weeks, which is when weaning starts because they can chew solids. His adult set won't erupt until he's around 4, maybe even 5 months.

I hope you can sort out him being left when you both have to be out at work. Otherwise you are in for a bumpy ride with a Basset. :(

#14 · (Edited)
I'm almost scared to come here with my answers to all this, but what the heck - it's all about the Basset after all.

Fact is the Basset does not do well living a solitary life, so I hope you realise that if you plan on leaving him alone for more than 2 hours right now, he's going to kick off big time. When we had our first hound, it wasn't until I could stop working, which I did, for 6 months to get him sorted out and through the baby puppy stage. I went back, part time - 3 hours mid-day. He went back to NOT being housetrained, to tell me what he thought about the new arrangements. I ended up taking him with me, and leaving him in the car which was fine because this being over the lunch hour, with a shady car-park too, all the staff went up to sit with him, or take him for a stroll during the 3 hours. Perfect.

Please don't shut him outside. He needs to be with you.

I also think, with the proviso that no puppy should be in a crate during the daytime for longer than 2 hours, a crate is going to be better than an ex-pen. And get a big crate - one he can still use when he's adult if needed. I don't subscribe to a small area because until he can physically hold, and leans that he doesn't need to 'go' in his crate because you will be letting him out regularly, he will just empty in there and in a small space, be forced to lie in it. At least if he has the odd accident in a big crate, he can get away from it. He'll soon be big and heavy and well able to move an ex-pen all over the place. And you would have to dog-proof your house - he's NOT teething at 8/9 weeks. His baby teeth would be there by around 3 weeks, which is when weaning starts because they can chew solids. His adult set won't erupt until he's around 4, maybe even 5 months.

I hope you can sort out him being left when you both have to be out at work. Otherwise you are in for a bumpy ride with a Basset. :(
Couldn't have put it better & knowing me, wouldn't have been as tactful. You have a puppy that has 'just' left siblings & Mum, he's a baby he needs you. No pup should be shut out on his own, especialy a Basset, he is part of your family not something to join you when it suits your timetable. Franksmum says ' otherwise you are in for a bumpy ride with a Basset', sorry I'd say, your pup is in for a bumpy ride with you :(.

#11 ·
Molly had separation anxiety when she came home with me, too. She cried for 3 days because she missed her parents and sisters, but each day was a little less. My teaching load was pretty light that semester, so I only left her alone for 2-3 hours a few days a week. Still, I worried about the crying and the overall anxiety it created for her. Definitely do short bursts of leaving Einstein. Go upstairs and leave him downstairs. When he stops crying, come back. Hopefully, he will stop in that short time. I got Molly over Labor Day weekend, so I had about 4 or 5 days with her. She still cried a bit, but a good play session before I left, along with my t-shirt (which you already know to do) and she was ok. Eventually she didn't cry at all. I never crated, but crating is a very good idea. Molly wasn't much of a chewer, except for her toys. I never felt the need. Most dogs need it, though, and it will give you peace of mind that Einstein is ok while you are away.

Congratulations on your new baby and good luck :)

#12 ·
We don't have a crate or anything like that. He is a bit spoiled. He has a luxury bed in the front room and also a bed in the kitchen/dining area. When myself and partner are both out we put him in the kitchen and he never messes up, he always waits till we are home then he will do his business outside.
He is 4 months now and we have never locked him outside, we always go outside with him when it's toilet time. The only time he's not keen on outdoors is when it's raining.
My partner is in the Army so he is away all the time. I have taken time out to look after my pup until next month I will be back at work casually so I won't be away from him for long periods every day. In the mean time I have been leaving the house for about 2-3 hours every other day to get him used to being on his own.
It breaks my heart when I leave him but I don't make a fuss of him and after a few minutes whimpering he gets into his bed.
Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#15 ·
I agree too with crate times - sorry LOL I sounded like a real meany and bring my poor puppies up in a cage - very much the contrary!! I use an Xpen (that can be secured to the wall) with them as young pups for times I leave the house (no more than a few hours) or when you can't give full on supervision. Otherwise they are with me as they should be as babies! Personally I don't use cages after they're housebroken and graduated to a room, more rooms, the house. It is really important to do some crate training as a pup it makes cage rest for an illness or an injury a lot less stressful.

#17 ·
Im so proud of my boy today! Today was the first time we left him home alone while we are at work, and luckily I only work about 10 min away from home. So I went back after about 2 and half hours to check on him, and he was fast asleep.

I closed off a nice little space for him in the kitchen where he can't get into too much trouble, and left all his toys, an old t-shirt of mine that I wore yesterday, a radio playing soft music as well as a clock that I wrapped in the T-Shirt, and he looked very content when I left him :)

I even bought one of those puppy kongs and stuffed it with a treat, and one that he can get out easily and he was busy munching away and playing with it.

Can't wait to go home again in about 2 hours time to see how is doing ! We are also looking at adopting an older female dog so he doesn't feel too alone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.