Basset Hounds Forum banner

Should I switch him....

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  shakespeare 
#1 ·
Hey all basset lovers, question. When my Noba was a pup, he ate several times a day. For whatever reason, when he was about 5, he decided that he was going to become an evening eater only. He usually ends up eating around 6-7 pm each night, although I do put his food down in the morning hoping he will eat breakfast. He's never had any issues from this. However, I've always wondered if it was healthy for them to only eat once a day? If not, any suggestions as to how to get my incredibly stubborn boy to eat twice a day? Thanks...

#4 ·
I've gone to three smaller meals from two with Barney also....He would sit and stare at me & them grumble at the refrigerator....this has solved that problem but each dog is different. For us, this works...To me, it's all compromise:p.

#5 ·
I have tried cutting down his dinnertime feeding to try and entice him to eat breakfast, he doesnt fall for it. I'll put half his amount down in the morning and it'll be there that night, he'll eat it for dinner and then whine and throw his food bowl around making a racket until he gets more. I don't wanna starve him, so I give in. I'll try again the next day and again,it just sits there until nighttime. I've always been nervous about bloat, but he's so damn stubborn, he usually wins.

#7 · (Edited)
Nothing said about calories. Bloat without torsion - is a big deal and it happens quite a lot. Especially with older dogs. I think it's a very important thing to watch after for - not gastric torsion but too much gas in the gut!
sorry that was a tangent...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.