Basset Hounds Forum banner

playing fetch

10K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  Noba's_Mom 
#1 ·
Together with Jess that I rescues recently I also have a German short-hair Pointer. So my GSP loves to play fetch. So about 3 days ago I was playing fetch with him, when Jess snatched the ball from him. I took the ball from her and threw it again, just to notice Jess wanting to go fetch it. That when I realized Jess was telling me she wants to play fetch. SO now we play a little bit of fetch every day. Still having a little problem with getting the ball back, but its getting better:) Any of your bassets likes playing fetch?
These were taken in the park yesterday

See less See more
#6 ·
Basset Style fetch should be a sport. I'm sure they play like that to exercise their people.
When Margot is on her own with me she does kinda play fetch. She'll bring her ball back but then wants me to run after her to get it.

#8 ·
my sally loves nothing more than playing fetch,she will play all day long,she sometimes gets distracted by other dogs,she will chase after them with ball still in mouth all the time barking with excitement,she will sometimes drop the ball when excited by other dogs,forgets about the ball and its location,which then leads to another game "find".she will not leave the dog park without her ball! I have known her run the length of to two football pitches to retrieve her ball before we put lead on at the park gates. lol she is a gem,such a character.

#9 ·
This morning on our walk Jackson decided it would be fun to start dragging around a branch that was larger than he is! I decided to play along and tossed it for him a couple of times- He had great fun, and it was hilarious to watch him carrying this huge branch around. I've seen retrievers and the like do that, but never a hound!!

#11 ·
Our old Hub would excitedly chase down the ball, then lay on top of it and wag his tail.

Donut loves to chase the other dogs, chasing the balls.

At our local dog park, there is a basset/border collie mix. Funny guy, and LOVES balls...has to be the border part of him.

#17 ·
I have a few that like to play fetch with the stuffed toys.

#21 ·
Jake does not "fetch", he just sits there and looks at you like, "well, why did you throw it away if you want me to get it.... idiot" However, he does play "catch" as long as what he is "catching" is edible!

Ellie loves to play "Fetch", however, she is a bit ADD and won't necessarily bring back the original item you threw... Throw a ball, brings back a chew, throw the chew, back with a stuffed animal...plus sometimes she gets a bit distracted (ooooohhhhh Shiny!) so I have to clap my hand and say "Yeah Ellie! (yes, I know how I look :) )

#24 ·
My Noba will play fetch... BUT... only with two specific toys. He has a squeaky basketball that he has had since a puppy and once in a blue moon he will drag it out for a game of fetch. But everynight, he has to play fetch with his golf ball. Yup, a golf ball... my husband is a golfer and for whatever reason Noba developed an obsession with a yellow golf ball. I keep it in a drawer and he is only allowed to play with it under strict supervision, but man, he would move the world for that ball. Try and exchange it with a different golf ball and he gives you the "seriously, I'm not dumb... I know that is not my ball" look. He's hilarious... :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.