Basset Hounds Forum banner

Problem Barking

11K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Jon&Bo 
#1 ·
Dealing with Problem Barking, adapted from Dogs for Dummies, 2nd ed.
Excessive barking is one problem that often puts dogs on the road to the shelter. What's more, it also puts them at risk from the people in your neighborhood: The poisoning of a nuisance barker is all too common. Even if your neighbors aren't the kind to take things into their own hands, a barking dog can run you afoul of the law, and not dealing with the situation marks you as an irresponsible and inconsiderate dog owner.

Dogs bark to express a variety of emotions: anxiety, boredom, territoriality, aggression, playfulness, and hunger, to name a few.[/b]
Article goes on to suggest methods for reducing excessive barking.

Bark! Bark! Bark!, Denver Dumb Friends League, suggests methods for teaching your dog a "Quiet!" command.

Barking by Dr. Nicholas Dodman--describes the causes of problem barking: to get attention; separation anxiety; territorial; and reactive barking, with suggestions for handling each type.

Dr. P's Dog Training Library, Barking--an list of additional links to articles on problem barking. Many are dead, but a few are still active and are helpful.

#6 ·
I give the sit command and when he sits he stops barking, once he is quiet and calm i give affection. hopefully it will convey the message i want a quiet peaceful enviroment :). but he does argue a bit

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.