Basset Hounds Forum banner

Going Out?

5K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  Yogi's Mom 
#1 ·
My only one that really indicates she needs to go out to the toilet is Lula But she will stand and stare at the door for awhile before she grumbles. Iz and Margs just stand and stare, nothing else. Do yours let you know in a better way?

#4 ·
We are thinking about a dog door. But I wonder if it's too late for these ladies - they'd do the same at the dog door - probably waiting for us to flap it open for them.

#3 ·
Bella sits at the door for a minute and then cries if no-one has noticed her.

You get approx 2 minutes before she goes "you had your chance and you blew it"

Nice puddle to clean up! :D

#6 ·
When Yogi was a puppy I trained him to ring bells that I had hanging on the door. Eventually I took the bells away. What he does now is walk to the front door and if you ignore that he will walk to the back door. He will keep that up until you let him out!:D
Now, if it's during the night and we are upstairs he gets off the bed and cries until I wake up. I believe he learned that from when he was still in the crate as a puppy because he would cry in the night or early morning to let me know he needed to go out.

#7 ·
They go & sit by the back door, then if I haven't noticed come & sit beside me with a certain look on their face if I still haven't got the message they walk away turn back & come & nudge by legs.

#10 ·
Maddie asks to go out. She will go to the door, and if you don't come to let her out after a minute or so, she will bark quietly, and if that doesn't work, she will stand in the doorway of the room where the outside door is and stare at you, woofing if you're not fast enough.

I don't have a dog door, and don't want one - the cat would get out then.

#12 ·
Jake will sit at the back door and stare at it, if I don't notice, he will then scratch (he learned that from Sophie, then taught it to Abby... hoping he will teach it to Ellie.

Ellie (being a pup and in the middle of training) will sit by the back door, and if I don't notice, then she goes on (or really near... front end on business end off) the piddle pad.

We are getting ready to put in a fenced yard, and I would like to do a dog door in the screened door when we are home. I don't want free access out side when I am at work.

BTW, Jake also scratches to come in. If I take to long, he body slams the screen door!

#13 ·
Molly doesn't have very clear signals either. Sometimes she'll come up to me wherever I am and bark at me. I can tell she wants something, but I can't really tell specifically what it is. She does have pretty clear "feed me" signals, so anytime it's not that, I take her out. But I'm really just guessing. And I tend to initiate a potty break at least once or twice a day, just to make sure she's not going to have to hold it very long. I guess for a lot of people, this wouldn't be good enough, but since I am home with her all the time, it works well enough for us.

#14 ·
Ellie's signals can be a bit "fuzzy". When she barks, first I assume potty time, second, play, then food. I figure it never hurts to try potty time first!

#16 ·
Bella stands at the door, 30 secs if nobody has opened it, she scratches the door, by then if we don't open it she'll give us about 10 secs then pee on the floor. If it's for a "Number 2" she'll run and find us and give us a big deep "woof", then we know she's really desperate, she hasn't pooped in the house since she was tiny, just wish I could say the same for piddling.:mad:

#18 ·
I swear it must the name! Or the Yorkshire air :D

You could have been describing my Bella, never poops in the house but peeing....forget it if I don't get there quick enough for her majesty! :rolleyes:

#19 ·
Lucy will walk to the door and give me a WOOF – Mabel will walk to the door and like Flash use to, will paw it till I hear – Page and Rickie I have to be clairvoyant

Jen~

#20 ·
If you have no male Bassets, go for the door by all means. HOWEVER, when we had one fitted some years ago in another property, the males refused to use it because of their undercarriage :lol: Today, I had to literally boot my two out over the backdoor. Actually that side of the house was sheltered but when they got to the corner of the bungalow, it was turn round and head for home-time. As Frankie was going to the vet, he had to have a walk to get the second BM sorted (he didn't!) but my Whippet hasn't been for a walk at all today - it's blowing a hoolie out there (remains of Sandy come across:huh:) so who can blame them for not wanting outside - I'd not want to have to go down the garden for the loo, for sure.

Much as we did have the dog flap for a while and the back door is always open (daytime) in the better weather (I nearly said summer), I don't wait to be asked. I tell them when I know they must need to go :lol:

#21 ·
Hubert scratches at the door and Toby will bark but Eeyore just waits for someone else to go out. He doesn't have accidents just never really even sits at the door and waits. I guess he just holds it until someone else needs to go. I would love a dog door but we have storm doors on the outside and then our regular doors have panes of glass all the way down. All our doors match so it would be a pain to replace just one.

#22 ·
Mine a fairly regualr, first thing in the morning, perhaps again if we're late for a walk, again in the afternoon & lastly before bed. BUT if it raining & oh they hate the stuff I have to push them out the door!

#23 ·
emma's signal to go outside is a double stretch followed up with a yawn/groan. the double stretch consist of downward dog followed by the cobra pose?/belly crawl which i been meanin to photograph her doin

i also have a large cowbell on the back door she will ring now and then

#24 ·
Franksmum, it took our old rescue, Hub awhile to master the dog door, too. Our most memorable incident was when he got the front half of his body out the door, with the important half still iside. Peed. Then backed up and came looking for praise, as he was very proud of himself.

It took Hub awhile to learn the concept of "all the way out the door."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.