Basset Hounds Forum banner

Is Basset right for an apartment with hight stars?

4K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  houndmomma 
#1 ·
Hi! I'm read a lot of post on this forum and some of you really helped me. Over a week ago we decided to get a dog. Basset was my dream and still is, but as more information about this dogs I received and staring to realized that Basset maybe is not right for my housing situation. We r planing to buy a house in near future(year or so) so maybe I should get a Basset then. I don't want to hurt him by constantly carrying her on stairs. I think I should postpone this decision.
I'm also in love with beagle and bulldogs so maybe I should get this kind of dos as my firs one.

#2 ·
I think you are smart to wait relizing a basset can reach a weight of 60 lbs or more,you will not be carrying it up steps for long and not without a backache I did think of this very thing and was going to say something then I forgot. You will have the same problem with a Bulldog(I love them too) a beagle could work but probably too much energy in an apartment plus there is the barking and from a basset howling/and or barking,so yeah hate to have you wait longer but if you have your own house it would be much better.Get one with a fenced in yard.

#3 ·
I agree about postponing....I rescued mine when I lived in an apartment with three flights of stairs. She was two so already developed and on the light side weighing only 37 lbs, but it wasn't ideal. I only had her there for a month or so, then decided to let her stay with my mom until our lease was up which was only a few months. I should have waited to adopt her, but I was in the mind set "got to get her now!" and that can spell trouble. Waiting sucks, but there will be a special dog for you when it's time.

#4 ·
Yeah, I'd wait to....and yes, to the fence....I have a basset and a beagle and agree that the beagle would be too hyper in an apartment and the basset would be trouble on the stairs...Get the house and the fence, then get one of both:rolleyes:...the two breeds are great together.

#7 ·
If you are not the type for really little dogs,toys like pugs,poms,that sort of thing I like French bulldogs a little weight to them but as puppies you could carry them ok.Remember when seeking out a breeder of any breed everything I said about basset breeders goes pretty much for any breed of dog. Please do not buy from a pet store.Good Luck

#9 ·
with beagle and bulldogs
both beagles and bulldogs are "dwarf breeds" and have the same back issues as a basset hound. IMHO with an adult dog stairs are not an issue if there is not an additional health issue the biggest being obese. which is a common occurance in bassets.

see
Canine Intervertebral Disk Disease
Prepared for

The Dachshund Club of America, Inc.

Disks can be divided into two histochemical types: 1) chondrodystrophoid and 2) nonchondrodystrophoid or fibroid. The word "chondrodystrophoid" literally means faulty development or nutrition of cartilage. In humans, chondrodystrophoism is recognized physically (phenotypically) as dwarfism, where individuals are smaller than normal and whose parts (especially limbs) are disproportionate. Certain breeds of dogs, such as dachshunds, show their chondrodystrophism by having disproportionately short and angulated limbs. However, phenotypic characteristics alone can not be used to identify chondrodystrophoid dogs. Other breeds, such as miniature poodles and beagles, have been histochemically identified to have chondrodystrophoid disks and yet do not appear outwardly to be chondrodystrophoid.
When comparing the disks of nine month old dogs, chondrodystrophoid disks characteristically have a larger ratio of transitional versus peripheral zone in the annulus fibrosus. Also the cells of the transitional zone lack clear orientation as is typical in nonchondrodystrophoid disks. The nucleus pulposus in chondrodystrophoid is almost completely composed of dense fibrocartilage which appears to have completed the chondrofication process. There are only isolated "islands" of notochordal cell remnants seen. In contrast the intracellular matrix of the nonchondrodystrophoid disk is loose and fibrillar and contains notochordal cells only.
The amount of pressure that builds up inside the disk when forces are applied depends on two factors: 1) the water binding properties of the nucleus (more water equals more elasticity) and 2) the degree of resistance and elasticity of the annulus and surrounding structures. These factors are highly dependent on the histochemical makeup of the disk and the changes it undergoes during aging.

#17 ·
Congratulation on your new addition of Penelope!!! I think you’ll love her especially if she’s anything like my Little Richard which she looks a lot alike. I never would have gone out looking for him or a small dog for that matter – I only have him because I answered the phone one night to hear a friend say “you have to help out someone and take this dog – the wife bought him – and the husband hated him” – I told her she could bring him by (at the time he was less than 5lbs) and if Lucy didn’t look at him like lunch we would try it – that was over six years ago.

He’s been a wonderful addition to our pack – and even my husband love’s him – he’s always saying – where’s my boy? Or that’s my boy! And this is someone that would never be without a hound. He even thinks he’s one of the hounds and loves being a pack member.

Here’s a photo of our little guy in one of their Christmas photos. Be sure to post photos after you pick her up – you’re an honorary Basset mamma until you get settled and get one.

* My daughter has turned into a crazy cat lady because she couldn’t have a dog living in Chicago and with all the travel she did/does for work – Now that she’s engage and getting married next year they are starting to talk about what kind of dog to get.

Jen~

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.