Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums - View Single Post - Need Opinions
Thread: Need Opinions
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 01:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
SarahRainey

Weight is all relative to the dog's frame. Also, keep in mind that a basset's dense bones add a lot more weight to them. That weight is not BAD weight. If a basset weighed the same as a similar sized non-basset, the basset would probably be underweight. They should weigh more than a regular dog of the same size. It sounds like the vet you saw doesn't necessarily have a lot of experience with bassets. I don't know the size of her frame, but the weight sounds like its within the normal range of healthy bassets. Copper is a LEAN 52 pounds (you can still see his ribs). For my small foster, that would have been overweight, but even my very-well-experienced-in-bassets vet told me that my smallest purebred foster should gain weight until she was 35-40 pounds (she came in at 25).
Former Foster Mom to [/SIZE][SIZE=1] Domino (A 3/13), Dustin Hoffman (A 11/13), Murphy (A 12/13) Jamiedoxie/basset (A 6/12),Taz & Tommy (trans. to med care 4/12) Ashley (A 3/12)Gwendolyn (A 2/12)and Dudley (A 8/11)
SarahRainey is offline   Reply With Quote