Basset Hounds Forum banner

Why???

7K views 41 replies 20 participants last post by  Jnfr 
#1 ·
I use this forum to look and see if any Bassets come up for rehoming locally. There was this lady on there a few months ago advertising a 5 week old Basset for £250 and as she lived close by I emailed her. By the time I did the dog had been rehomed. Tonight however she is on again with another Basset pup so I email her asking for details.

She tells me that she is rehoming as the dog is too needy and she has two small kids. So I ask about the other dog and she tells me she had the same issue there so she used the £250 to put towards another pup.

I told her to elaborate and maybe I could help her find some help so she could keep the pup and she went on to say that it needs too many walks, she thought they were lazy, it chews, it pees when it cant get out!!! And its leaving her tomorrow!!

So yet again another pup ends up god knows where due to selfishness and ill education.

It never ceases to amaze me that people get a dog and at the first sign of trouble they get rid. Ill bet their kids cause them agro but you wont find them on preloved under offers will you?

When we took Albie on I looked him in the eye that first night and said no matter what, you are stuck with us forever. It hasnt always been plain sailing but he is my family, we are his and that is that! Short of attacking the kids theres no incontinence, grumpy moods, chewing or barking that would make me leave him. Why do people find it so easy? Is it lack of attachment? I am so upset tonight.

Anyway Ive left my number if the new owners dont collect ive told her to call me.

I just hope that dog gets a forever home now like they would have here and after much talking to OH im calling Basset Rescue tomorrow to see if we they have someone Albie and I can love forever too.

See less See more
#36 ·
I suppose it all boils down to individual dogs and families. Personally growing up and now in my own family we always slept with our dogs and snuggled with them on the furniture. Never have I had an issue with a dog "challenging" me. We get the feeling that our dogs see our bed as the pack den, they all like to pile in there with us and snuggle up.

I have a feeling dogs on furniture/beds could quickly turn in to another food debate LOL!!

#37 ·
LOL it could, but such arguments usually fail to recognize that all dogs are different; not only between the breeds but within it. Even I fall into that category, and I realize this when I think further back than the big boy I had that was my own.

Hey I won't deny, I actually secretly want to share my cozy places with a snoring dog lol. Maybe I just need to be more open minded, and can try such a thing. It's not like I don't know how to fix it if it doesn't work.

I suppose the biggest question is: why do I WANT to share sleeping areas with a snoring dog, but it's NOT okay when my fiance snores??

#42 ·
I suppose the biggest question is: why do I WANT to share sleeping areas with a snoring dog, but it's NOT okay when my fiance snores??
It is simple (at least in my experience with a snoring husband)...

(1) the pups snoring does not actually rattle the foundation of the house!
(2) the pups don't steal the blankets
(3) the pups don't flop their leg or arm over me and pin me down.

That being said, in the interest of full disclosure, the downsides of a snoring (or non-snoring basset in the bed)

(1) you WILL learn to sleep in a pretzel position... it is now THEIR bed that they are allowing You to share.
(2) OK that is about it...

Side Bonus...

Cold winter nights.... they are excellent at keeping you warm! Morning... the slow wagging tail and a kiss good morning

#38 ·
OMG one more day til we meet the new potential family member!!!!

IAM SO EXCITED!! Even OH tonight who was on the fence craced a smile when i said this time next week there could be two basset heads lying on your face obscuring your match of the day view!! You can tell hes my dog eh? well trained haha CANT WAIT!!!!

#40 ·
Oh here we go...more breeder bull from the same site.....

"These gorgeous Basset hound puppies are ideal family pets. Great people pleasing dogs, easy to train, excellent recall off the lead and easy to housebreak"....

It goes on, i should email and ask what theyre breeding as they aint Bassets!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.