Basset Hounds Forum banner

(new member) FRANTIC need help for my hurtin' hound

14K views 104 replies 24 participants last post by  Kirska 
#1 ·
Hello,

I'm a new member (please forgive me for the brusk introduction) but I'm ==FRANTIC==, and don't know what to do-so with BH people being the compassionate folks they are-I thought this might be the best direction to turn.

First of all, I have a signifcant health issue that makes it difficult to type, so if my thoughts / comments seem abrupt or impersonal-I don't mean to-I just need to keep keystrokes to a minimum-I beg your patience on this!

Making it as short as possible, my beloved rescue hound of 11 yrs is experiencing health issues, that we can't seem to get resolved, (I can't afford to continue going to the vet-running out of $$$ and I've got my own medical matters that eat up too much money, plus mortgage etc) It's killing me seeing her so miserable, I've considered "calling it quits", but I think she still has too much time left, and don't want to do something that permanent, without knowing first that it ends up being something relatively minor that can be easily treated.

I've tapped every resource I can think of for money so one way or another she can get veterinary care, any thoughts would greatly be appreciated!!!

It's breaking my heart that I'm unable to do right by her-and seeing her feeling so miserable . . . . .

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Despite your typing difficulty, a lot more detail is required. Perhaps you can dictate and have someone type for you?

I don't mean to sound callous, especially since I have recently made a similar plea and I understand how horrible such a situation is. However, the internet is full of scams and pleas for money, and it's necessary to check out situations before contributing to causes, however worthy.

For example, both I and the other party on the board are known quantities - both of us have been members for a while, the names and photos of our dogs are known from before we requested help. Both of us have people on the board who have met us in person and can vouch for us. In my own case, I posted details of the medical issue in question, what the recommended treatment is, an estimate from the vet of what it would cost, and the name of the vet.

In your case, since you are unknown, I would suggest that on top of this info that you post contact info for your vet (remember to talk to them and give them permission to talk about the case), so that people who want to help can contact them and send money to them directly.

I'm sorry to sound harsh, but transparency is essential in cases like this. I hope you are able to get the help your hound needs.

Perhaps if you are able to post details on the issue some of our members may be able to offer suggestions.

And we love pictures!

#3 ·
IF your situation is as you say it is, check with your vet about a service that allows low monthly payments for veterinary emergencies. I think it's called Care Credit.

#4 ·
What are the health issues though? There are so many good people on this board and I think collectively we've all been through every illness, disorder, problem at some point. I do understand your financial issue...heck, I have an Addison's dog whose shot costs me $200 per month. Tell us more about you, your dog, and what your dog's medical issue is.

And yes, we do love pictures!

#5 ·
Yes it is called care credit and they will usually give you the money interest free if you pay it all back within a certain period of time. I think its somewhere between 6 and 18 months depending on how much it was. But if you can't pay it off then they charge you interest from day one which is quite high.

#8 ·
my spidey senses are twitching at this one............
Hence my request for further details, especially the info for the vet which is not easily faked as anyone can look it up, call and verify.

#10 ·
Maybe in Cameroon.

#12 ·
My hurtin' hound (FRANTIC owner)

I started a reply to my original thread-and I bumped SOMETHING-and it disappeared! Bear with me, I'm pretty clumsy on the computer!

Thanks to all that cared enough to read my post! I appreciate the suggestions, and I can certainly understand any hesitation / skepticism-it's just that I'm at a loss as to what to do (Credit cards maxed out, Care Credit not an option, vet's office has been great letting me defer payment-but I need more than 2 weeks, payment plan not an option, sparse 401k rapidly getting sparser. . . )

Again-since typing is a real challenge, due to my own medical situation-my posts may sound kind of abrupt or brusk-but each keystroke requires significant effort, and unfortunately I don't have someone to help with or the luxury voice activated software-so I apologize in advance (I wanted to go into more detail in my first post but at 4 a.m. my hands quit cooperating-as they are right now) after resting them I plan on getting back on and explain what's happening. (There's so much to tell) can't do much 'til my hands decide to work like they're supposed to.

Barring anything unforseen I intend to get back on and get into details then

#14 ·
The "old timers" here know me, and know I am a soft touch when a hound is truly in need... However, Bassetdependant, you really haven't told us anything about you, your issues, your hound or its issues (not even a name or photo!) color me skeptic.

#16 ·
I need a lot more info. - and this will sound snarky, but you could have posted what we need in the above post, instead of repeating how difficult it is for you to type.

I think it would help to post the veterinary name and contact details, your dog's name, and some details about her injury/illness. Of course, you will need to give the veterinary permission to share info as well.

#18 ·
I've read this post with interest and I may be wrong but nowhere can I see that the OP is asking for monetary help, though I can understand all sceptacism about motive for posting, I do think it might be polite to let the OP get their full situation explained before shooting them down in flames for being a troll.

In the UK we have charity vets who will help out people who can't afford private vetcare for their pets, is there nothing like it in the US?

My take on this is the OP is trying not to make a difficult decision to have their puppy PTS solely because of money problems, and is asking for advise, though we still don't know the full extent of the dogs health problems I do think that it will all come to light when the OP feels up to typing it out.

It might just be us "brits" but I do like to give the benefit of the doubt before coming to any conclusions. I mean lets face it if it is a genuine case they've definately come to the right place for advise, nobody likes to think of a suffering basset.

#20 ·
This is why my original response was for more information - I'm sure many of us would love to help out, even if only with suggestions and advice. But so far we still don't know what the problem is, except that it requires more money. With the internet being what it is, it is necessary to be cautious.

Hopefully the OP can find someone to type for them and the full story can be known.

#21 · (Edited)
I wasn't directing to my comments to anybody inparticular, but have seen these types of threads on a guinea pig rescue forum I'm a member of sometimes frighten off the OP when the written word has been taken the wrong way, then if it is a genuine case it's the animal that loses out, and I'd hate for that to happen here.

I have in the other hand seen a few troll threads in my time too and can see it from both sides. Did I never mention I like to sit on the fence a lot.:D

#22 ·
I need more information before I personally can make any suggestions that might help. I didn't see her ask for money; I see her as at her wits' end, and trying to seek ideas on how to get her ill dog help because she doesn't have a lot of money. I won't say she's a troll or trying to rip anyone off, but it's hard to give any help when we don't know what is wrong with the dog, what it has been treated for, and what the veterinary says.

#23 ·
The reason I am suspicious is that the difficulties in typing have been mentioned several times but yet the initial posts was quite lengthy - surely the time would have been best used to tell us what the problem was. Also although there was no direct plea for money I felt the undertones were there. If I'm wrong then I'll apologise but it just doesn't sit right with me.

#25 ·
I agree, not trying to be judgmental or jump to negative conclusions but seems like the effort will be best spent getting the point across instead of dancing around it further.

#28 ·
6 GPs! Ours is named Daisy Adair and she always talks to me when I'm packing lunches in the morning, she knows I will give her some veggies or fruit. In the afternoon when I come home she always comes to say Hi and I give her some hay. She had a friend named Cooper but he died a few months ago. I think he was really old and had a stroke, poor little guy.

#29 ·
1. When/if meds work-typing isn't too bad. When not working-which is far too often (stress GREATLY exacerbates symtoms)-which I have PLENTY OF RIGHT NOW
2. Longer posts were when meds were working-but the meds don't last long, so had to end the post before I wanted to.
3. If hadn't explained at least in a little detail , my situation, I'd be percieved as rude-and get shut out at the expense of my hound.
4. I wouldn't count on getting the time of day if all I said in my post was "Sick dog, moans/groans through the night, uncomfortable, not moving right. Can't afford vet. What now?"
5. This post will take FOREVER, as meds not working now-but i feel like I have to take the (valuable) time to EXPLAIN, so as to alleviate your suspicions. With PD somes you can function almost as usual, often NOT-like now with all the stress. Any of the PD Websites will enlighten one on the fun
of life with PD. I DIDN'T WANT to, and don't care to further discuss my medical issues, but felt I had to (take the time)to make it clear-so any decision to help/not help my hound is based on the length of my posts. ='NUFF SAID=
Now, in abreviated format:
Dog sleeps sprawled out, rarely curled up (as usual) sleeps with head either propped up, or spilling out of bed with head at lowest point of body.
Often wakes from dead sleep, hot and panting-almost ready to sweat, wants to: go outside-cool off, drink or want chilled food.
painfully moan with every move throughout the night, often during day.
Eyes red and almost appear bulging-off and on
having difficulty going upstairs, uncomfortable going down
Collar appears to be getting tighter
stomach slightly distended.
still eats, drinks, deficates/urinates
been on Cephalexin for extended period for perpetual ear
infection
often seems stiff and sore
intermitently seems almost usual self then miserable
been coming on slowly over last few weeks. Sleeping issues-
infrequently since summer.

This took 2+ hrs, Hands quit-gotta stop now

#32 ·
ok i just reread the first post.
11 years old. i honestly don't know what kinda help folks on the internet could be without getting info from a vet. she could certainly have some kind of internal problem (cancer, etc) given the level of discomfort you're describing. but because it's general discomfort I don't know what anyone could help with if you cannot get to the vet to get blood work, at the very least, done first. know what I mean?

I wish you and your houndie the best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.